Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 racks of ribs

Options
I recently cooked 6 racks of ribs indirectly at around 250 or so for 3 hrs, 1 hr foil, 2 hours again. I used the green egg rack and had them all vertically in place and the results were not my best. Do I require a lot more cook time for 6 racks vs 3? Does the vertical holder not allow enough heat around the th individual racks? They were tight against each other? Not sure I will use the rack again, instead use 3 on grill, and 3 more above it on extender. Any thoughts?

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've noticed no difference between flat and the rack, though I do mine turbo. I do cook baby backs, though, and arrange them so the ribs are not touching. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've done that many on a rib rack with good results - 5 hours of cooking is generally enough for me and I don't foil
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited November 2014
    Options
    imageI did this on Saturday, beef came out a little overdone, but still delicious, they were touching.

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    At 250, if the egg is stable, 5 hours is the minimum for me, but I don't use foil. If the egg is stable, 6 racks versus 3 should not add any significant time, maybe a 1/2 hour at low temps.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.