Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Softside Coolers 2 for 1 Sale

Options
Last year at this time I needed a good soft side cooler. Someone on this forum or the old forum directed me to Polar Bear. Just hit them when this sale started last year and I got a 12 and 24 can size. They also sent a 24 for a giveaway to the Salado EggFest. One of mine developed a small leak, I called them and they sent a new one replacement and told me to keep the leaking one just do hot food or have my ice in a Baggie. These are good people. Plus the cooler is very high quality and I have used the hell out of them traveling. The two for one holiday sale is back and I am just passing on the news (no I don't get anything). http://www.polarbearcoolers.com
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    Just tried this, wants to charge me for both. Any ideas, want to get some for Christmas presents
    Austin, TX
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    @eggpharmer  I took advantage of this deal last year also.  And am now on the mailing list.  See below...

Here's how it works: click www.polarbearcoolers.com, fill your cart with ALL the coolers you want. Once you have them ALL in your cart, go to checkout, type in coupon code 2112 and click "REDEEM COUPON".  ALL the prices of the COOLERS will be cut in half. This 2 for 1 offer is valid NOW 'til December 20th, or while supplies last. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Done, thanks
    Austin, TX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Great gifts for our Eggfest Chefs. Thanks for the heads up.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Great gifts for our Eggfest Chefs. Thanks for the heads up.

Smitty these are very nice people. Plus they gave me a 24 can size in green for a giveaway at Salado. They can put your message on them as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I've actually been looking for a soft-side to replace my Yeti Roadie, since the Roadie is just too heavy and I don't need to keep anything that small, that cold for that long. Looks like I'll pick one up for one of my buddies too! :)
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up Mickey.  I was just trying to remember what these were the other day.  My buddy got one of the soft yetis (to the tune of $299 I believe), so these are looking really good!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    As an additional heads up for anyone in the Cumming, GA area- I emailed last year and they said you could pick these up to save on shipping.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Bought, thanks again for the heads up. Ended up being $80 for two 24pack coolers including shipping. For $40 a piece I am sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks @Mickey
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    standing by for the $300 soft side yeti review from you Mickey

B-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    standing by for the $300 soft side yeti review from you Mickey

B-)

They look nice but have used a few of the Polar Bears just no need to buy the $300 Yeti. The two yetis are plenty that I have.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What size would you recommend if one was to use this for an FTC cooler?  I would guess you'd want it at least be the size to handle a full size disposable aluminum pan.  Any idea what size cooler this would equate to?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That looks like a awesome gift idea. I'm a huge fan of practical gifts.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mickey
    Options
    thetrim said:
    What size would you recommend if one was to use this for an FTC cooler?  I would guess you'd want it at least be the size to handle a full size disposable aluminum pan.  Any idea what size cooler this would equate to?

Two of these can go in this 24 can. For real room do the 36 can. image

• thetrim
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey‌ So that's the 24 can in the picture?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Options

thetrim said:
    Thanks @Mickey‌ So that's the 24 can in the picture?
    yes

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Hey Mickey.....are they as good as touted on their website for keeping ice for a good while?  I'm tired of using the **** Target/Walmart/Sam's soft side coolers that leak and hold ice for maybe an hour or two when I don't want to break out my bigger coolers.  Plus I think these would make some great Christmas gifts so I may pick up a half dozen or so. 

Also on size, are they pretty true to what they say they hold or should you always go one size bigger?

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Mickey
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Hey Mickey.....are they as good as touted on their website for keeping ice for a good while?  I'm tired of using the **** Target/Walmart/Sam's soft side coolers that leak and hold ice for maybe an hour or two when I don't want to break out my bigger coolers.  Plus I think these would make some great Christmas gifts so I may pick up a half dozen or so. 

Also on size, are they pretty true to what they say they hold or should you always go one size bigger?

You got it. They hold all day very well and dry outside. If you get one with a problem, they fix it.

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    @Mickey - Thanks for the post, I just ordered 2 myself...
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    What sold me was the integrated bottle opener on the zipper.  Every cooler should have a bottle opener attached.  

• TN_Egger
    edited November 2014
    Options

This review on Amazon prompted me to make the purchase.... (and cracked me up!)

Signal Mountain, TN
  • TN_Egger
    Options
    The Beer Review By Wile E Coyote on June 23, 2013 Color Name: Black Verified Purchase I couldn't care less how many sandwiches and yoghurts you can get into a cooler. Coolers are for beer, and beer comes in bottles, so we need an objective review for those who want cold beer. I've never bought a soft cooler before because they are all, without exception, total and complete junk. Soft coolers don't keep beer (or anything else) cold. So when a friend of mine turned up with one of these things you can imagine how I laughed at him. One boat trip later and I was prepared to admit that he had chosen wisely. These things are unbelievable. He left his cooler in the sun all day (an amateur mistake) in 90 degree heat, and when we got back his ice was still the same shape as when it went in, just slightly glossier - barely any melting at all, and just a small amount of melt water in the bottom. My cooler (that I constantly moved to keep it in the shade) came back with cold water and a few sad lonely ice cubes floating on top. I kept my share of the beer cold, but I was on the limit. Another hour or two and the beer situation would have become critical. I've since bought a 12 and a 24 pack cooler, and haven't used my hard coolers since. The 12 pack will comfortably fit 16 bottles of beer, and you can fill the rest of the space with ice. If running out of beer is problem (and lets be honest, when is running out of beer not a problem?) I can get 18 in with a little coercing, although there is less room for ice and you'll struggle a little with the zip (solution: drink one. Problem solved) The 24 pack will comfortably swallow 26 beers (30 at a pinch). I wouldn't recommend the 48 pack, I don't own one, but the 24 pack with 30 beers and ice is heavy enough. You'd never lift the 48. If you need the capacity I'd suggest two 24 packs. The only negatives with these coolers is that they don't have a water proof base, so you have to be careful about where you put it (think boats, puddles on the ground etc) and being soft sided, you can't sit on it. But the advantages far outweigh these little problems. I also love the way they don't look like coolers. You could take one of these to a funeral to down a cold one in the pews and no body would notice. You need never be more than 3 feet from a tasty brew ever again, and It'll always be icy cold. I've never seen one leak (several of us have them now). The little bottle opener on the zip will break after about 30 bottles, so forget using it, and don't leave them in the sun, being fabric they do fade.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @TN_Egger that is pretty funny.  I am a little upset that the bottle opener will break after 30 beers.  For me, that is only 1 day of use. 

• Mickey
    Options
    @TN_Egger that is pretty funny.  I am a little upset that the bottle opener will break after 30 beers.  For me, that is only 1 day of use. 

Easy fix. I put my Yeti opener on it. It will never break.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Thanks for the tip @Mickey.  I plan to order at least four of the 24 packs, one for us and then some Christmas gifts for siblings, etc.  Beats the hell out of buying the requisite restaurant gift cards for gifts which it seems we've done almost exclusively for the past few years.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Booked for our 35 Eggfest Chefs-

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thetrim
    edited November 2014
    Options

That's almost as good of a review as the Three Wolves Howling T Shirts!

@Mickey, Is there another website we can order thru, so you can get a commission?

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Options

Booked for our 35 Eggfest Chefs-

That is so cool. I do want to meet you some day. If I get another cooler in the deal so much the better. Where are you guys? Did go north from La once and SD once on PCH two times this year.
    They did give me one for a gift prize at Salado EggFest. Very nice people.

• Mickey
    Options
    thetrim said:

That's almost as good of a review as the Three Wolves Howling T Shirts!

@Mickey, Is there another website we can order thru, so you can get a commission?

No commission but super nice people. I think we need to say something when very outstanding and price that all can use

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    We're in Santa Clara, CA.   San Francisco Bay Area (South Bay)....home of the 49ers! 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA