Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White chicken chili or tortilla soup recipe?

Options
I Google recipes on the forum but they were old recipes. Sher-bear loves both so I thought I'd egg some this week. Any good ones?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Beans or no beans? %-(
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here are some soups I like to make.

Soup, Tortilla, Chicken, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Galleon Chicken Stock
    3-4 Cups Chicken, Cooked, Cpopped course
    2 Cans Green Chile chopped
    2 Stalks Celery
    1 Can Corn
    1 Onion
    2 Tbs Fajita Seasoning
    1 Tbs Cumin
    2 Tbs Taco Seasoning or Chile Powder
    1 Tbs Mexican Oregano
    Fresh tortillas to make Crispy tortilla chips sliced 1/4 inch before deep frying

PROCEDURE:

1. Saute the celery and onions. Add everything, except tortilla strips, to a large pot and simmer until hot. Serve with tortilla strips, cilantro/scallions diced for garnishment. Can squeeze some lime juice in.

Recipe Type: Side Dish, Soup

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/06/16

Soup, Tortilla, Country Style, Sopa de Tortilla, Oaxaca, Beli

Tortilla soup is one of those great examples from the "land of no waste", my nickname for Mexico.  As the soft tortilla (blanda) ages, it needs to be eaten, so if it is fried and used in other dishes such as tortilla soup or chilaquiles.  This is recycling at its best, using old tortillas and adding a broth or sauce and fresh garnishes.  The tortilla becomes reborn with a new identity, flavor and name.  In Oaxaa, I have had tortilla soup two ways--this version and another with a brown bean puree as the base.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/4 Lbs Tomatoes (3 medium-large round or 10-13 plum)
    1/2 Cup Peanut, Sunflower, or vegetable Oil
    4 Older tortillas, cut into strips (about 2 cups)
    1 Medium White Onion, Chopped
    1 Head Garlic cloves, separated and finely chopped
    12 Cups Flavored Chicken Stock
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    10 Chiles chipotles en adobo
    1 Haas avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
    1/4 Pound Queso Fresco, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (manchego or muenster may be substituted
    1 Cup Cilantro, Finely Chopped
    1 Cup Chicken, Poached, Shredded

PROCEDURE:

1. On a 10-inch comal, griddle, or in a cast iron frying pan, roast the tomatoes over medium heat 10-12 minutes until soft and the skin starts to slough off. Allow to cool, then peel and discard the skins. Puree the tomatoes in the blender until smooth.

2. Heat the oil in an 8-inch cast-iron frying pan until it smokes. Add the tortilla strips. Fry for 3-5 minutes over medium heat or until brown, and drain on paper towels. Remove the remaining oil, reserving 2 tablespoons.

3. Put the 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy 4-quart stockpot and sauté the onion until clear, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook 2 minutes longer. Add the tomatoe puree and fry well, about 10 minutes.

4. Add the chicken stock, lower the heat to simmer, and cook, covered for 1/2 hour. Add salt/pepper.

5. Put chile chipotle, a few avocado chunks, some cheese cubes, shredded chicken, chopped cilantro, and fried tortilla strips in each bowl. Add the soup and serve.

Recipe Type: Poultry, Side Dish, Soup

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Beli, 2011/06/20
    Here is a chili dish you might like:

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Claudia Sanders White Chili....my favorite !!!

www.thebgenest.com   recipe page.

If Col. Sanders' wife fixed it for him...it's good enough for me !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    This is going to be vague, but I make white chili about the same as red chili except I use all white colored beans instead of red.  Then I think I use some chicken stock instead of all that tomato sauce/juice and no paste.   Sometimes I still add a can of tomatoes to it which makes more of a pink colored chili. 

I go for the white meaning "white meat and white beans over red meat and red beans," and don't stress about the color.  It's always good!  And some corn...can of drained corn.

LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @henapple we have made the Rachel Ray recipe for chicken tortilla soup and it was excellent. If you really want to amp up the smokiness make chicken stock after you smoke a bird and use that in the recipe.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited November 2014
    Options

I literally just finished the last of the weekend batch of White Chicken Chile. OUTSTANDING.

I prepared everything except the chicken thighs on Thursday to meld overnight and cooked the chicken Friday morning. 

I used Tsumani Spin on the thighs and smoked with a chunck of hickory and two chunks of apple. 

We enjoyed dinner Friday, lunch  yesterday and a final bowl today.

The recipe is from Eggtoberfest 2014. PDF of all the recipes are here:

New Albany, Ohio 

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Simple 10 Can Chicken Tortilla Soup 3 cans Campbell's chicken and wild rice 2 cans Campbell's cheddar cheese 2 cans chicken broth ( may add more to stretch) 1 can Rotel 2 cans pinto beans 1 rotisserie chicken from deli deboned and shredded (also goes great with a spatch chicken) Heat and serve
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA