Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt

Options
I've had my Egg about two months now. I cooked my first butt yesterday while I watched my MSU Bulldogs smoke the UA Hogs. It was outstanding!!! Yellow mustard and my own rub. 250 degrees with hickory chunks until 195. Meant to take some more pics once I pulled it but I forgot.
Canton, GA
LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Looks good from here! Congrats.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mustard is for hot dogs, not butts. 

Looks good anyway. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Good looking cook!
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Congrats on your first butt - Here in ARKANSAS!, I've been doing them for years and they're wonderful - but, the only thing that got smoked yesterday was your butt - your team won the game but "smoked" is somewhat of an exaggeration ;-)
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Congrats on your first butt - Here in ARKANSAS!, I've been doing them for years and they're wonderful - but, the only thing that got smoked yesterday was your butt - your team won the game but "smoked" is somewhat of an exaggeration ;-) You're right but we'll take it. Hope yall beat Ole Miss!!!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • reh111
    edited November 2014
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    Congrats on your first butt - Here in ARKANSAS!, I've been doing them for years and they're wonderful - but, the only thing that got smoked yesterday was your butt - your team won the game but "smoked" is somewhat of an exaggeration ;-)
    You're right but we'll take it. Hope yall beat Ole Miss!!!
    I just hope we beat someone in the SEC before the year's out  - and, congrats on being No. 1!

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Oh ya, Arkansas, I almost forgot, that's where Beilema went...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • reh111
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Oh ya, Arkansas, I almost forgot, that's where Beilema went...
    Don't start - I live here but was born in Milwaukee and root for both UW and Packers - Bert (that's what I'm calling him until he wins) has really improved this team but he can't get over the hump - I know that many of you were glad to see him go
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Congrats on the butt !!!  Looks good.

It's easy to forget pics when you open that lid and your senses of sight and smell explode with the flavor of egged butt !!!

We've all eggsperienced it !!!

Another little trick when checking doneness is to see how easily the bone will pull lose from the meat. I usually use a pair of channel lock pliers to give it just a little twist when I have reached 196-198 IT. Just my method...we all have em !!!!!!

FTC after you mpull it off the egg for at least 45 minutes...again, my method.  I've never been dissappointed !!!!

Thanks for posting your adventure !!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Once a butt alwayts a butt. First of many, my friend. 

Make for great sandwiches 2-3-4-5- days later too. 

Agree with the no mustard.

I've done the mustard. Last time I just used Dizzy Dust and it the best butt I've cooked so far. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Isn't it great to be a success? Congrats, more pics next time.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "