Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with two things: Turkey Breast on BGE & Char-crust

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking that next weekend I'd like to do a turkey breast on Humpty. Couldn't find anything in recipe section. Need some tips and advice on this. Also, should I brine? If so, the solution and timeperiod for bringing. Second question, what is the source for this Char Crust I see alot of you talking about? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sandi,
    It's fairly widely available in grocery stores where I live, but here's their web site & order info. ^oo^~
    http://www.charcrust.com/

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sandi,[p]For a bone-in breast, cook at 300-325 for roughly 15 minutes per pound - internal temp should be 160.[p]I would definitely brine since turkey dries out easily. A good simple mixture is 1 cup each non-iodized (e.g., kosher) salt and 1 cup sugar per gallon of water. You may only need half a gallon to cover the breast. Make sure the brine is cold before putting the turkey in it; a heavy-duty Ziploc bag works well if your fridge can't accommodate a large stockpot. [p]Brine overnight (although as little as 3 hours will make a noticeable difference); rinse and dry well before seasoning and cooking.[p]Cathy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Sandi,[p]You can find answers to both at the link below. Under POULTRY you will see a selection for turkey. Jeff has a recipe in the old recipe section called Super Buzzard which is good (bit too much sage) but it will give you an idea or two.[p]Under the link below is a MSC Pictures section with a link to Charcrust.com.[p]Caution using wood chips/chunks with the turkey breast. Try doing your first one with no added wood at all - trust me. If thats not enough - add more next time but you will find that foul absorbs smokey very very easily and you can easily over do it.[p]Welcome to the familly.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-- Tim's BGE cookbook etc --[/ul]