Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best salmon for smoking and what's the best process?

Options

Ok I absolutely LOVE a GOOD smoked salmon.  I stress the work GOOD because I don't run into them often.  I recently went to a restaurant called FOGO DE CHAO, it's a Brazilian steak house and they had the best tasting cold smoked salmon at their salad bar that I've ever had.  (I ate like 12 pieces).  A week later I was at a breakfast buffet that was also serving cold smoked salmon so I loaded up my plate, only to go back to my table and spit out the first bite (extremely fishy, not good).  I really want to make cold smoked salmon a staple in my diet because I enjoy the taste (of a good one) and it has a lot of health benefits.  If anyone knows anything about how Fogo De chao does it please share!  

I'm hoping there is an expert on cold smoked salmon out there that can point me in the right direction.  

What kind of salmon do I choose?

Which brining process?

What type of wood do I use to smoke? (the best ones I've had almost have a bacon-like flavor to them, if that makes any sense)

Thanks in advance, and I promise I will show the cook on here with pictures and all.

Comments