Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Approximate Time to cook?

Options
I'm interested in smoking a whole turkey in preparation for Thanksgiving.  How many minutes per pound at 350 degrees indirect?  I usually cook until done, but with a whole host of other sides being prepared inside by the women I don't want to over or under shoot the turkey.  Thanks all!
Eggin', craft beer and good cigars.  Tampa, Florida

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We cooked two just this week and each were 13lbs at 2.5hrs total cook time (at 350°).

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i took a poll a few years ago, 14 to 16 minutes per pound average using the madmax technique at 325 stuffed full of onions and fruit. there still was one done in 12 min and one in 18 which may have been uncalibrated gages
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's a lot faster if you spatch it. Haven't done it myself, but it would HAVE to be.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Mickey is the spatch turkey eggspert.  Hopefully he will be along.  I've spatched  16lb turkeys on a LBGE, indirect at around 350*F and they take  around 100-120 mins.  Use cherry smoke wood for great coloring.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I spatchcock direct raised 400. 12/13 lbs is what I always do. Takes 75/85 mins + or -. I use a handful of cherry chips.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Is there any benefit to cooking at a lower temp on turkeys?
    Jacksonville FL
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

Hope I'm not hijacking...@dobie  From what I've seen and heard there is not.  Turkey absorbs a large amount of smoke.  To the point that you can easily over smoke it.  Long cooks at lower temperatures only delay the eating time. 

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    jcaspary said:

Hope I'm not hijacking...@dobie  From what I've seen and heard there is not.  Turkey absorbs a large amount of smoke.  To the point that you can easily over smoke it.  Long cooks at lower temperatures only delay the eating time. 

OK no sense in dragging it out without any benefit. Picked up an 11 lb bird for a Thanksgiving practice session. Now just got to figure out to spatchcock or not and to inject or not and seasoning.
    Jacksonville FL
  • UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use apple or cherry for Turkey - half a dozen small chunks each....or a mix of both. Pecan is another good option on wood. 

Very Mild smoke flavor with my digicube set @ 325. I can get two 14 pounders on my XLBGE. Mount them on beer stands after brining. Use pans under the birds rather than beer can receptacles. Better distribution of heat and moisture. Here's an Alton Brown brine recipe we've used for years....

1 cup Kosher Salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 Gal Vegetable Stock
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1.5 teaspoons allspice berries
    1.5 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
    1 gal heavily iced water (50/50)

Combine Veg Stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, berries & candied ginger in large pot. Over medium heat stir till combine and dissolved, then bring to a boil, remove cool and refrigerate. Brine turkey 12-16 hours prior to the smoke.

We like the Jar-jar Rub. Some Pics.....