Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg cooling time??

Options
dblR
dblR Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long should it take for Large to cool down? How long for temp to drop from 600 down to 400? When TRex steaks my L takes alot longer than 20 minutes to drop from 700 to 400. It takes hours to cool down from 500. It also takes hours to cool down from 350.[p]Thanks,[p]Ralph

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    dblR,
    I had the same problem. I don't know if I'm right or not, but when I take the steaks off to let them rest, close the bottom and leave the top open for a few minutes to let the heat out. Then close the top and minimize both .I've been able to get closer to that 20 minute wait period that way.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    dblR, not to be disrespectful to TRex but count me in the camp that does this in reverse. Roast your steak at the lower temp first, remove it and foil it while your egg comes up to the sear temp. It works better - is more predictable - and personally I find it tastes better.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    tchilo.gif
    <p />dblR,
    Unless you are letting the Egg sit at 700 deg for a long time, the Egg will easily drop from 700 to 400 in less than 20 minutes if you close the lower vent and put the ceramic top on. I usually get the fire up to 700 and then put the steaks on relatively soon thereafter. Searing is about direct radiant heat from the fire, so having the ceramic hot is not important. Cooling time though, has a lot to do with how hot you let the ceramic get. As you can see from the above graph, I brought my Egg from 700 to 400 in 3 minutes and 7 minutes. In the first case, I shut the vents down as soon as the cooker got to 700 degrees. At this point the ceramic was 160 degrees. In the second case, I let the cooker stay at 700 degress until the ceramic reached 275 degrees. In both cases, the dome temp dropped to 400 degrees long before 20 minutes had passed. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz