Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
stormyddog
stormyddog Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would like to try my first pizza today and have read the Wiz's tip's. I was wondering if anyone else had any pointers and if someone could tell me specifically what the temp and cook time should be.
Thanks

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    stormyddog,[p]I'm not sure what the whiz has on tips, but it seems like just about everyone burns their first pizza no matter what they try. I like to create an airspace between the stone and the pizza. I just use a second grid to do that. But I do buy those take and bake pizzas.[p]Best tip... buy two, if you burn the first one you've got a second ready to go.[p]Scott

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    stormyddog,[p]- Make sure you preheat the stone. Don't put the pizza on a cold stone
    - Use corn meal on the paddle and the stone to prevent sticking.
    - Different people use different temps. I prefer 450 - 500 degrees.
    - Adjust your temp with bottom vent and leave top off. Then you can monitor pizza by just looking down the hole.

• stormyddog
    Options
    Thanks any idea on roughly how long I should cook for?
  • Fungus
    Fungus Posts: 2
    Options
    I use a plate setter with the feet up, the grate on top of that and a pizza stone on top of that. I like the dome temp between 450-500F as already mentioned. I like a thin crust pizza where the crust is just starting to get crispy, I have good success with 12-13 minutes for the way I like it.

Before I put a the first pizza on the stone I like to have it up to temperature for at least 30 minutes.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    stormyddog,
    Depends on your temp. I have never timed one but they usually go for about 15 minutes at the most.

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    stormyddog,[p]I use inverted placesetter,then grid, then pizza stone. Heat stone from the start. Do not put pizza on cold stone. I aim for 500-550* for 13-14 1/2 minutes. I don't leave daisy open all the way though. Do your best to have temp pretty stable. I have found the wet rag trick between pizzas works real well. By the fourth pizza the stone is real hot so you want to take pizza off real close to 13 minutes. I do use a maglite to monitor(drool) the proceedings by looking down. Do not look straight down in case of flare-ups.. I look for light golden brown crust and cheese light brownish gold. The cheese will be bubbling a little. You will learn fast what to look for. Be careful the cheese and sauce stays hot for quite a few minutes. You will never buy a Domino's again.[p]Ralph[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]