Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza mystery

Options
Have done quite a few pizzas over the years, but experienced something new last night. The first pizza had a strange taste, almost like gas or fumes. SWMBO commented on it immediately, referring to it as a "chemical" taste. So clearly not a successful cook with that kind of feedback! LOL. I did change a few things in my cook, as follows:

- New lump: WGWW (normally use maple leaf)
- Placement: Placed the pizza much higher in the dome using the top tier of the swing rack (normally have it about 6 inches lower)
- Lower temp: Went around 500 (normally cook them at around 600 to 650)

The second pizza did not have the same pronounced taste, but it was still slightly apparent. 

Going to try to preempt a few questions that might  be asked: 
1) I don't use starters of any sort - I have a MAPP torch 
2) the coals had been burning for about 15 minutes while the stone heated up 
3) same ingredients used on both pizzas.

Anyone experience this with pizza before? I'm stumped. Pics below - looks are deceiving!

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    My first pizza had a strange taste after letting the egg warm up for about 15 minutes. The second one did not, everything was the same except I waited about 30 minutes for the egg to warm up.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I would agree with @DMW‌ Let it burn/heat up for 30-45 minutes to ensure everything is lit and burnin right.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    DMW said:
    IMHO, 15 minutes wasn't long enough to get rid of all the VOCs. That is why the "chemical" taste wasn't as pronounced as in the first.

Give everything at least 30 minutes at your cook temp before launching your first pie.

Thank you sir. Will definitely try that next time. And no need to be humble - i visited your FB page - you are a pizza master! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what DMW said. Prior to putting any kind of food into the egg, I place my hand over the smoke and smell it. If it has an acrid smell, I wait. Really hasn't been an issue since I switched to Ozark Oak.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I once had a piece of charcoal that spoiled the cook. Not sure what it was but it looked a bit different when I lit the fire and there was a bad chemical taste in the food
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Two things that will help: 1) burn the lump longer and heat the stone longer. Check to be sure the smoke is clear and smells good. 2) do a clean burn of your BGE. You may have had a build up of soot and grease the burned off during your first pie. The more you do low and slow cooks the more often you need a clean burn before a high temp bake. Good luck!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definitely a few tweaks to make, which gives me hope for the next one!
    Ajax, ON Canada