Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sous vide beef ribs experiment

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
My wife's out of town for a few days, so I decided to experiment.  The local store had boneless ribeye steaks on sale last week, and when they do that, the beef rib bones go on sale too.  I found a package that was 8 individual bones, 4 long, 4 short.  I hit them with a little salt/pepper/paprika mix and then a tiny bit of my usual home made BBQ rib rub.  I sealed 4 pouches with 1 long and 1 short bone each and put them in the sous vide pot at 140F yesterday morning about 9:30. 

So, it's been about 31 hours, and I'm about to pick one out, hit it with some sauce and put it under the broiler for a few minutes.  I'll do the same at 55 hours (dinner tomorrow), and now that I think about it, dinner Wednesday and Thursday are seeming kind of ridiculously long cooks (79, and 103 hours).  The plan was to see if there was a point at which additional cooking really doesn't help (or hurts).  I don't know if I'll let it go that long.

What's the longest you've sous vide cooked something (and eaten it)? :)

Comments

• njl
    Options
    First set were awesome.  My only complaint is that Publix doesn't leave enough meat on these.  I devoured them before my side dish (microwave-baked (ok, steamed)) potato was even done.  I have got to try doing baby backs this way.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Assuming that the ribs are what was cut away from the rib-eye steaks, they don't need the really long cook time.

The longer beef rib cooks, like 72 hours, are for short ribs. Those have lots of connective tissue, and it takes days at 135 - 140F to break the tissue down to gel.

Tho' back ribs have lots of fat, and a good bit of connective tissue, a couple of days at 140 can dry them out. At about 120+F, the muscle tissue begins to contract, and squeeze out the water from the muscle. Given enough time, most of the tissue will have little water, and be very mushy gooey even tho' still somewhat pink.

Myself, I'd pull the ribs soon, strip the meat, and chill it quickly. Then, broil or pan sear when you want to eat it.
  • njl
    Options
    I guess I could pull them, keep them in the pouches, give them a few minutes in ice water, and then into the fridge until each is ready for consumption.  It beats babysitting the Anova to make sure it hasn't shut down due to a brown out.