Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safety third? Let's make it first. Fire Extinguisher.

Options
anton
anton Posts: 1,813
I read lots of forum posts and always pay attention to the ones regarding wood tables and structures and fire safety, nobody has mentioned it much but I would like to make a friendly suggestion to everybody, regardless of  what type of outdoor cooker you use, egg or otherwise. Please, Please,Please buy a $29.00 large sized ABC fire extinguisher, and keep it near your egging area, I love reading your posts and don't want to read any explaining how your house, garage, field,cookshack or other structure burned down. You people are all so cool, I would not wish that on any of you. Get the extinguisher, and know how to use it, teach your wife and kids how to use it too, Love Anton.
:x
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good advice.  A hose at the ready works well too.  I'll hose the area down if I jump start my lump with a leaf blower.
    Options
    or a full bladder...
    Options
    or a full bladder...
    Lmao!!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Lump + Weber chimney + leaf blower = GREAT blast furnace.  used it a few times when my riding mower hit [yet another] major root bending the stuffings out of the blade.  This heats up the blade red hot enough to forge/hammer it back into shape. (should you do this, don't forget to re-temper the blade in oil/water mixture). Sharpen, reinstall and you are good to go.

Also have a water hose / fire extinguisher on hand... 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    @anton, good reminder.  However, if I may say so, I think it's even more important to be careful and proactive, rather than reactive.  Most of the egg fire incidents I heard of or read about occurred when the egger was away or sleeping, so an extinguisher wouldn't have made a difference.
    canuckland
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @Canugghead‌ I can't sleep at all if
    I'm on an over night low and slow. Last time I think I got an hour or two. Makes me nervous as hell. My egg is on the deck though with lots of wood around it so I'm sure most would feel the same.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Make sure you get an orange one...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I'm one of those with a house that burned down. 

I had a large fire extinguisher in my house. 

When we became aware of the problem we were WAY past fire extinguisher time...

That said, I will have a fire extinguisher near the egg when we move back in.  And a metal egg table.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    I hear you I have stopped egging for a few days until the new table arrives Thursday as the old table is in bad shape! It's leaning bad and looks like crap and I don't want it collapsing in the middle of a cook! Still keep my fire extinguisher and garden hose ready just in case!
  • anton
    Options
    @anton, good reminder.  However, if I may say so, I think it's even more important to be careful and proactive, rather than reactive.  Most of the egg fire incidents I heard of or read about occurred when the egger was away or sleeping, so an extinguisher wouldn't have made a difference.
    Fully agreed!!
  • anton
    Options
    I'm one of those with a house that burned down. 

I had a large fire extinguisher in my house. 

When we became aware of the problem we were WAY past fire extinguisher time...

That said, I will have a fire extinguisher near the egg when we move back in.  And a metal egg table.
    I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy, I can only imagine the grief and heartache, glad you are okay and still egging! I am working towards a metal table as well!