Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you clean your SS Chimney Cap?

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas on cleaning the SS chimney cap? Can I throw it in the dishwasher with soap on a normal cycle with my other dishes? Or.... :-?

BTW - there is NO gasket attached to the inside of the SS cap. My egg came with a gasket around the top of the dome where the SS cap sits.

And just because we all like to see pictures, here's the dirty cap I'm referring to. Thanks!
And:
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Use some barkeepers friend on it, oven cleaner, dishwasher... or be like me and just leave it on the egg. 
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @Eggcelsior - I will probably just keep it on the egg for now, but was just curious how people were cleaning them. I noticed it sticking a little last night when I cooked, so I got to wonderin'.
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @RRP cleaned his with Oven cleaner, if I recall.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I think it was RRP that said oven cleaner works well
    Greensboro, NC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    +1 for Barkeeperss Friend
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited October 2014
    Options

Wolfpack said:
    I think it was RRP that said oven cleaner works well
    yuppers it was me! 
    A before picture or two:
    imageimageand an after:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks yall! @RRP‌ that looks awfully familiar! Part of me wants to leave it that way bc it adds character. The clean freak in me wants it to shine like new!
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep +1 Barkeepers Friend.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Thanks yall! @RRP‌ that looks awfully familiar! Part of me wants to leave it that way bc it adds character. The clean freak in me wants it to shine like new!
    Honestly there is no elbow grease involved with the oven cleaner method - just be sure to spray it outside as those flumes are strong. It is also messy once the cleaner has worked so wear gloves and use paper towels and not your wife's favorite dish towels! LOL
  • fence0407
    Options
    RRP said:

fence0407 said:

Honestly there is no elbow grease involved with the oven cleaner method - just be sure to spray it outside as those flumes are strong. It is also messy once the cleaner has worked so wear gloves and use paper towels and not your wife's favorite dish towels! LOL

I've learned the hard way not to mess with the wife's kitchen towels. Using them to clean up spilled beer probably wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had. Then again, blaming it on the beer was probably a close second!
    Cumming, GA  

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    fence0407 said:
    just to state the obvious, there is even less elbow grease required to just leaving it dirty.

There are things worth working for and things worth being lazy about. :D
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    So just to be clear you don't spray the inside portion were the nomex gasket is right??

I have my gasket on the cap like RR does!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RRP
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So just to be clear you don't spray the inside portion were the nomex gasket is right??

I have my gasket on the cap like RR does!!
    My gasket is inside and I sprayed the inside, but didn't soak the gasket as there was no need to. Seems like the most crud (creosote) was on the exterior of the neck - not the inside of the neck. 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    Thanks for this...I've gone through 3 cans of Barkeepers Friend...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Guess my is overdue...lol Sorry but it's dark!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).