Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Living Meat Loaf and Chipotles and a B29 and B29 Bomber

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, that pretty much covers the weekends cook. I made the meatloaf that was in the newest (Sept.?) issue of Southern Living and it was great. Actually, its better the next day on sammiches but it was good after it came off the grill. If anyone wants the recipe I'll give it to you or pick up the S. Living magazine, there's some other good recipes in it so its worth the cover price. [p]Also, with the abundance, actually over abundance, of hot peppers coming out of the garden I decided to smoke a few of them on the egg. I know thay are not TRUE chipotles but the will be used as such. There are some anaheims, some poblanos, and others. Total was about 30 peppers, 50% jalapenos and the rest a mix of others. Smoked indirect at 200 for about 4 hours, they came out wonderfully. Will make some good mustards and sauces with them.[p]I have a whole chicken on tap for early this week, weather is just too nice lately NOT to egg. I think the egg gods give us this kind of weather and if we DONT use it, they take it back. So, not wanting to offend the egg gods, I egged.[p]Finally, this weekend at our little podunk airport in Mt. Vernon, IL, we had a B29 and a B24 fly in and sit on display for the weekend. Man, those are awesome planes. The guy who was in charge of restoring the B29 was from the Mt. Vernon area and was psyched to "fly it home" as he called it. There were 40,000 B29's made during the war, only ONE is in flying condition, this was it, the name of it is "FIFI". Impressive plane. The B24 was cool too but not nearly as impressivef as its counterpart but still amazing. Its amazing that during the war those planes were literally thought of as disposable items. What a waste of planes and young men.[p]Anyway, way off topic but interesting. Got to see, me and my son, the ONLY FLYING B29, thats cool. I saw it land on Wednesday of last week too, they sound COOL, it takes off today, will be just as impressive I'm sure. Cant imagine a whole fleet of those taking off on a mission.[p]Troy

Comments

• sprinter
    Options
    sorry about the title of the post, B29 and B24.[p]Troy
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    sprinter,[p]My father was a bombadier on a B-29 for the Tuskegee Airmen. He never got in the war, but he trained. Later he flew co-pilot in the reserves on some early jets. I never got to see a B-29 up close like that. I always thought my dad was prety cool.
  • sprinter
    Options
    char buddy ,[p]They are pretty impressive airplanes. My dad flew in the reserves, never active, was a radioman in the old P2V, now the P3. Pretty cush duty he said, got to fly all over the world as a result of it, great experiences and funny stories. The airplanes took off about 30 minutes ago, WOW. I could hear them revving up the engines from here, about a mile away. Too cool.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    sprinter,
    If you like airplanes - you need to go to OshKosh WS in Aug or to Sun&Fun in Fl in the spring. I was at OshKosh a few years ago and saw FiFi -- along with a few hundred other WWII planes. Really neat place for 4 days. 20,000+ planes in one place.[p]Tim

• sprinter
    Options
    Tim M,[p]My dad is a private pilot and a couple of years ago he flew into Oshkosh for the airshow. I've never been but have seen pictures of the airport during the fly-in and would love to be there in person. Awesome airplanes. Never been to or heard of the Fl airshow. Will have to check that out.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    sprinter, with any luck I'll see the same two this coming weekend in Halls, TN - the Memphis Bell and the Yankee Lady are suppose to be in attendance - not sure if they are B29s or B25s - going down to visit my daughter (lives in Dyersburg, TN) and the air show happens to be the same weekend.

[ul][li]Halls Air Shor[/ul]
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    sprinter,
    My father flew B29s. He lived, but he did have a few tales to tell.[p]Mary

• sprinter
    Options
    Gfw,[p]They are definitely worth the look see if you have the time. Really impressive. My son thought they were the coolest thing. No rides available but we could go inside of them. Pretty primitive compared to todays standards of aircraft. Alot of wire and cable where today there are hydraulics. Like they said though, they were disposeable, make them cheap and quick.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Mary,[p]I'll bet there are probably some stories that he keeps to himself also. I know my uncle does. He was a Navy SEAL in Vietnam and to this day will not talk about a lot of stuff. He tells tales of sitting behind a log hiding, knowing the enemy was in front of you, not moving your hand to scratch your nose for fear of being seen. Pretty moving stuff when he does open up at times though. Thank heavens I never had to go through it. And hopefully last weekend will be the closest my son ever has to get to a fighting aircraft also.[p]Troy