Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TimeStick review...IT ROCKS!!!

Options

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @RRP. I can't tell you how many times in the past few weeks I needed a timer that tracked seconds. Every time I steam hamburger or hotdog buns in my rapid steamer, I stand there saying one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three....... till I hit 11 seconds. All of the kitchen timers I have work in minutes only. This will be a big help.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Interesting, I bought one a few months back and ended up returning it. Found that the buttons were difficult to push, quite a bit of force required to activate a button. Has anyone else found this to be the case? Mine may have been defective or am I just a weakling? 
    That puts me back in the 'use my phone too' camp.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I have a timestick, Samsung Galaxy S4, and a stove timer. I like the Timestick !!
    Danville, Il
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I recently got one and like mine a lot.  Small enough to not get in the way, but #'s big enough that I don't need glasses to read them:)  I got the green one as well so it's easy to see/find.  I'd recommend one to someone looking for a good timer. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • hercnav
    hercnav Posts: 11
    Options
    @RRP. Thanks for the post last week regarding the sale going through ThermoWorks.  My TimeStick came yesterday morning, and I was able to use it for my cook last night.  The convince of the lanyard, and a magnet for attaching to a refrigerator make it very useful.
    Large BGE, Mini Max
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Outside of baking, I can't say that I've ever cooked anything that I felt I need a timer for.  Maybe i'm missing something...what are yall timing?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:

Outside of baking, I can't say that I've ever cooked anything that I felt I need a timer for.  Maybe i'm missing something...what are yall timing?

Now that you mention it, most of my use has been something involving baking...

I have used it to remind me to check the sear on steaks when searing. A minute or so can sail by quickly when your chatting and drinking with friends while cooking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have a pair of them and couldn't agree more.  I have had all kind of timers over the years but they all had the same weakness - me.  I'd set them but wander off and be elsewhere when they were beeping away.  These TimeSticks are easy to throw around my neck or slip into a pocket, no more missed alerts. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DMW said:
    Now that you mention it, most of my use has been something involving baking... I have used it to remind me to check the sear on steaks when searing. A minute or so can sail by quickly when your chatting and drinking with friends while cooking.
    There you go.  I don't drink, nor do I have friends.  I make love to my meat, so every second feels like hours.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:

DMW said:

Now that you mention it, most of my use has been something involving baking...

I have used it to remind me to check the sear on steaks when searing. A minute or so can sail by quickly when your chatting and drinking with friends while cooking.

There you go.  I don't drink, nor do I have friends.  I make love to my meat, so every second feels like hours.

You must be seriously dehydrated. :P
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @RRP thanks for the post and your input, I think I would prefer one of these to using my phone. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The original Timestick.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Remember to get the orange one, they're the fastest...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Remember to get the orange one, they're the fastest...
    Get a pink one, nobody will swipe it
  • XC242
    Options
    @Crimsongator‌, roger that. They should make one that's pink and orange. It'll be fastest but no one will steal it...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I have a pink thermapen for just that reason. I just wish they had that color when I got my original super fast one.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    He who dies with the most toys wins...
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for review. Whether I buy an eggcessory or not, I always appreciate a detailed review like this from fellow eggheads.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Interesting, I bought one a few months back and ended up returning it. Found that the buttons were difficult to push, quite a bit of force required to activate a button. Has anyone else found this to be the case? Mine may have been defective or am I just a weakling? 
    That puts me back in the 'use my phone too' camp.

I agree the buttons are hard to push with your soft fingertips, but I use the corner of my hard thumbnail and not only does that work well, I also like the fact the buttons have some resistance and are not soft touch. To each his own though.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    @RRP‌ thanks for this post my friend.... I agree with you and needless use of adding up minutes or timing by phone... A cheap price for a great item... All respect to you Ron!!!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm sure it's a nice tool. Not necessary for me..I prefer my iPhone or iPad's ability to have multiple timers running with labels for each item I'm counting down on just the one device.

"Siri...set alarm, Spatchcock, 2 hours 15 minutes".

Doesn't mean the Timestick is bad...just not as convenient for me. My iPhone is already in my pocket, and the iPad is already open with the recipe folder in Evernote open.
  • XC242
    Options
    I've had one for months, it works great!
  • JRWhitee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    XC242 said:
    I've had one for months, it works great!
    @XC242 Northwestern??? Teeheeteeheeteehee no more top 25 for you.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • XC242
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌ Ya, every time one of our Q-B's drops back to pass I cover my eyes... Since G-Bay wasn't playing today I didn't pay much attention to football. How did the Bears do???
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I ordered a couple of them.  Thanks @RRP.  If you order on Amazon it's $5 shipping.  Add a second and the shipping stays at $5.  FYI.
    Options
    For those of us without pockets, the TimeStick neck lanyard is nice and being a Thermoworks product, can bet it will be bullet proof. 
    I use my Maverick 732 for timing stuff - to the minute is close enough for how/what I cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    XC242 said:
    @JRWhitee‌ Ya, every time one of our Q-B's drops back to pass I cover my eyes... Since G-Bay wasn't playing today I didn't pay much attention to football. How did the Bears do???
    Bears gave another one away, squandered a 14 point lead.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    Options
    I ordered a couple of them.  Thanks @RRP.  If you order on Amazon it's $5 shipping.  Add a second and the shipping stays at $5.  FYI.
    Wish I ordered one when placing my order for a Thermopop and an IR gun in the summer.

btw, why stop at 2, order 3 or more and the shipping drops to $2.99 flat 
    :D
    canuckland