Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@Lit how was the Hasty Bake Lump

Options
Anybody else burned any of the Hasty Bake lump? How was it?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌ just finished my first bag this weekend and was very happy with it. It sounded like alot of dust when I stood the bags up but there was only a handful in the bottom of the bag. It burned clean quick and the majority of the bag was good sized pieces. The box did get beat up in shipping I could tell because there was dust all in the box and all the bags are covered which sucks to have to wipe them down but all 5 bags were packed tightly in one larger box so I think that helped save them. Overall a good buy.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    @Lit‌ Awesome man, thanks for the review.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fljoemon
    Options
    My delivery from Amazon was excellent .. no ash dust inside the box and the bags were very clean too. I opened up one bag two days ago and quite a bit of nice sized chunks of charcoal. I just cooked some hamburgers, and the smell was very neutral .. nothing overpowering like Royal Oak. Plus the hamburgers were done on a cast iron skillet .. the only way I am making them now :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks @fljoemon‌ . Cast iron burgers is the only way to go.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The baking steel pizza plate works great for burgers.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @QDude‌ I bet it does, to bad I don't have one. :((

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    My two cents, found this thread while searching the forum for lump advice, as I'm almost out of H.B.:

I have one bag left of the HB I ordered from Amazon and I have been very happy with this brand.

So far I've used Royal Oak, Kebroak, Fogo, Quebracho, and last batch was H.B. About 300 lbs. total this year.

Fogo was by far the hottest burning lump, I had to adjust the vent left for the same temps as Royal Oak gave me. They claim Central American hardwood, but are not specific on which ones.

HB claims hickory and oak. Both hard wood species and sustainable with mild imparted flavor. I'm happy with it, but just found a retailer that has Rockwood a few miles north of Indianapolis where I live.... so I'm going to try that next. 

I do like the 10 lb. bags HB sends via Amazon. Those 40 lb. bags are fine, I like them better half full. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.