Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New dome thermo

Options
Hey guys,
I haven't found an Egg dealer I really like in the Madison area yet, but I need a new dome thermo (damaged in the move, boo!). I have an XL and I'm wondering what the best option is. I know Tel-Tru has four models (700 vs 1000 and 3.5" stem vs 5" stem) but I'm wondering which to get from my XL. I've had the problem of the thermo sticking into meat when cooking high in the dome, so I'd really prefer the shorter stem if it'll work. has anyone tried this?

Cheers, and thanks for the help -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Just go to the TT website and pick out what you prefer. They are good to deal with, but that was a couple of years back.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    If you can't find a short Tel Tru stem model, get the longer one, and stick it through a half of a wine cork.  It will stick out of the Egg further, but shortens the length on the inside.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    You need to go into the industrial bimetal section and find the GT225.  You can select length and range you prefer. I got the 2.5" 200-1000° version.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    probe length is one issue, but it's just as easy to not use the metal clip inside your dome. That way if you think there is a chance you will impale some meat resting higher in the dome like a big ol' turkey just pull out thermometer, close the dome and re-insert the thermometer. Beats trying to get that spring off when crusted over with creosote and hot! Besides gravity will keep your thermometer in the hole!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited September 2014
    Options

Go to Stienhafels on the belt line its only 8 minutes from your house.

and as the only saying goes...long and thin ..easy in... but short and thick does the trick

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited September 2014
    Options

did I just say that? 

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI