Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well.........first cook story. Not perfect but not bad

Options
BBQ-BoB
BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I won't lie and tell you folks the ribs were perfect but they were good in fact my wife said they were very good and from her that says a lot. I think that competition spirit in me often ruins meals since I am always looking for something better and I'm never really happy.[p]She and I both thought these were just on the verge of being too smokey, not bitter at all, just a tad too much smoke. The wood used was a piece of apple that was about 8 inches long amd maybe 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I used Royal Oak lump.[p]Next time I do ribs I may just use charcoal only to see how they come out or maybe a smaller piece of wood for the cook. Overall I was happy with my first cook and I look forwad to seeing what I make tomorrow on the egg![p]These could have been a bit more tender too. I knew they weren't quite there but we were hungry and I was also excited to see what things would be like. She and I both felt that if I let them cook a bit longer like they should have been and I put some honey over them we thought they'd be good enough to have entered in a comp. Oh, minus the bit of extra smoke they had too.[p]If these were available at a restaurant I'd be there weekly! Just glad I can do them at home and best part this egg made it so darn easy! Looking forward to seeing just how much fuel I used up during this cook.[p]Gotta look into doing long cooks for briskets and butts. Mainly how much fuel to expect to use and/or fill the egg with and if I may need to add more at some point during the cook.[p]The sausages were good too but they were brats and to e they are too bland but my wife liked them quite a bit but she doesn't do too much spice. They'd be better if they had a beer,onion and butter bath when done.[p]Thanks for the help and I'll try not to be apain to you guys with too many questions with this egg. Glad I have most of the know how behind me so some questions may mainly pertain to details with cooking on the egg itself instead of temps and so on.[p]Riding cloud nine tonight![p]Thanks1[p]Bob

Comments

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    bbqBob,
    A first cook with ribs is impressive in its own right. [p]You have discovered what I did on my first ribs; a little smoke goes a long way. I use just a very few chips now. Maybe a half handful at the start. [p]Congrats and keep after it.
    DrR

• Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Welcome to the Cult. If you fill the egg with a good quality lump to the top of the firebox (bottom of the ring), you can get 24 hours at 250 dome (probably 225 at raised grate) with a good start for the next cook.[p]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Sounds like you slipped into an old pair of shoes... :)[p]Changing from a stickburner to a ceramic is easier than most admit. That hunk of wood you used was a little big just due to the venting properties of the Egg, try mixing some smaller pieces into the lump. For barbecuing, be generous with the lump as the Egg consumes fuel at a slower rate & with a full load there is no need to add during long cooks. This makes barbecuing more relaxing![p]Wondering just how long it will be before you are figuring how to take your Egg to your next competition, I bet you are too.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    bbqBob, cut that wood back to about 3" by 1-1/2" and thats enough.

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    thirdeye, Thank you! First time out I wasn't expecting things to be perfect but I was still very satisfied yet at the same time I'll keep beating myself up because I shouldn't have pulled them when I did. Also as you guys have mentioned the smoke issueis something I have to get used to and that I think I can get under control within a few cooks of various meats and of course going by what I think may taste good to others.[p]I'm really looking forward to doing some of the foods you guys talk about and post pics of around here. Hope to do a pizza just as soon as I get some accessories here.[p]I was just amazed at how easy it was to get started cooking on. I honestly expected more of a headache with my first cook.[p]Already talking with some friends about taking it to a contest. We're even discussing a enclosed trailer deal with the eggs (yes eggs) on the back area. For now we may just rent a trailer to haul the egg and a couple other types of smokers in instead of hauling my big pit around. Hope to buy 1 or 2 more large eggs this year. Just might even sell my WSM and Weber Performer soon. They have done me well but this egg stuff really has me sold![p]Looking forward to trying some brisket flats on it soon too. Usually I cook packers but I think this setup just might help produce a better flat.[p]Thank you once again.[p]Bob

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    bbqBob,
    Go ahead and do the whole brisket then you will have some great burnt ends. Ummmmm

[ul][li]TNW Brisket Page[/ul]
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Bob...[p]I think you will find that the egg produces wonderful products in all the competition meats. Keep playing with the egg, you get great results and some purty dawg on good eats. [p]-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    bbqBob,
    Echoing what's already been said, I use chunks for brisket and butts which can take a lot of smoke, and chips for more delicate meats like ribs, chicken, & fish. Lump alone for anything cooking over 300 degrees.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• bbqBob,
    I've noticed you asking about platesetters and such, I don't have one. A pizza stone on 3 firebricks or a raised grid is all it takes, and a peel is helpful too but that's all you need.
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of flats at all, they just don't have the same flavor as a packer and come out much drier. Unless you have a preference for flats, stick to packers. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Personally, when doing ribs I like only one small chunk of wood, or even better I use a packet of pellets. Hit it with the smoke at the beginning and let her ride- you know the drill. Nice to hear you had a good cook though![p]phillip