Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick, help me select a wood, please

Options
2»

Comments

• Bojangles
    Options
    McStew! I remember you. Fancy seeing you over here, man. You also have a white raptor and a green egg.... Clearly you are a man of refined taste.
    You're not kidding, a prerunner addiction can empty your bank account like what I'd imagine only a divorce could otherwise.

So these last 10-15 degrees internal are taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R.....
    The pre-dinner wine is catching up with The Wife, and I'm not sure she'll still be awake when I finally pull these birds. Skin also still isn't as crispy as I'd like.
    The Bojangles' IPA intake is up to 7 now and I'm starting to catch a buzz... Plus it's already 10pm.

This "dinner" ought to be interesting.

Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Bojangles said:
    = This "dinner" ought to be interesting.
    Your support group is standing by.
    NOLA
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited September 2014
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Bojangles said:

= This "dinner" ought to be interesting.

Your support group is standing by.

Thank you. At this point I'm quite sure I'll be dining alone, wifey has that look in her eye where you can tell the landing gear is already down. Poor thing, I wanted to cook for her tonight. I think throwing 2 birds on at 7:20 and indirect medium temp was a bit ambitious on my part.

Lifted the grid with birds on it, set it aside, yanked the veg and transferred them to a 225 oven, pulled the plate setter, re-installed grid with birds, flipped them back to skin side down and cranked the temp via the BBQGuru fan.

Come hell or high water I am going to eat good tonight.
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Chickens should only take an hour.
    NOLA
  • Bojangles
    Options
    So I'd read. I guess it must have been the crazy gi-normous tray of veg I put on top of the plate setter? (You'll see the pics)
  • Bojangles
    Options
    Is 350 too low?
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    350-400 is normal for me should take an 1 - 1:15 to cook.... cook based off of temp not time you don't need to end up in the ER 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Bojangles
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Internal temps are passed done on the wings and legs, but deep in the breast meat they're not quite there. Removing the plate setter is definitely making this go waaaaaay faster though. Skin is looking good. Perhaps only time was lost on this cook. TBD.
  • Bojangles
    Options
    Eating.... My nemesis tastes pretty damn good.
  • Bojangles
    edited September 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    You have a ways to go...make sure your veggies don't get mushy and let it ride. If it doesn't go right tonight it will next time. Pics later?
    Pics, as promised.  The food came out pretty good, but not great.  Usually I feel like I make pretty excellent stuff on the Egg, but these spatchcocks were a bit of a let down.  The smoke and flavor tasted good, but the birds were drier than I'd hoped for.  Because it was my first spatch, I'm still not exactly sure what went wrong that made this process take so long.  Practice will help, hopefully the results improve next time.  Dry chicken leaves a lot to be desired.

Side note: smoked radishes are pretty weird.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Raise the grid up to felt level next time. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Bojangles
    Options
    DMW said:
    for 90% of the cook the platesetter and veg were under the grid.... that pic where the grid looks low is after I removed them so that I could get the things to finally finish
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Bojangles said:
    DMW said:
    for 90% of the cook the platesetter and veg were under the grid.... that pic where the grid looks low is after I removed them so that I could get the things to finally finish
    Ahh...hmmm....
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    Apple or pecan. Save the heavy smoke oak or beef.
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Poultry I like a combo of black cherry and pecan (don"t over do it). I've used apple but, meh to me.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Bojangles said:

@buzd504‌ That is by far the best advice there is. I guess I'd better comply.

Pulling my 3rd ODell IPA out of the fridge now.

You never can go wrong with Odell ipa. That's a favorite of mine .
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE