Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question for those who move their eggs on a regular basis

Options
msloan
msloan Posts: 399
hey guys, just picked up another XL egg because me and a friend are wading out into the world of competition cooking......we have no delusions that we will win anything...we just have a passion for cooking and want to try new adventures.

anyway, I have an XL and he will be bringing his large egg.......I am real worried about the logistics of moving these beasts......our plans are to be able to get them on and off of a standard bed of a pickup truck.  I have ordered a set of pot lifters to help with that process.

for those of you with some experience any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

1) do you think we can get these things moved with pot lifters in and out of the truck and onto nests?

2) when traveling with the egg in a back of a truck is it best to remove all of the components to avoid unnecessary jarring and potential cracking of parts?

3) if it is best to remove the guts then how do you recommend storing the guts and protecting them while traveling?

If I have missed something in these questions feel free to offer advice.....thanks in advance for your time!

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    I used to be part of a competition team and we traveled with two Xl's in their nests in a trailer and just strapped securely to the trailer, then we just rolled them down a ramp.  Sounds like you are planning on transporting them in the back of a pick up.  If so, yes, I believe a potlifter will lift an XL.  However, your comfort and strength may dictate that you remove the fire ring and firebox for ease of loading.  At the fest this past weekend, I saw approx. 100 eggs get loaded and leave all with everything inside.  Some still in the nests but most were out.  Hope this helps.
  • msloan
    Options
    yes it does, thanks for the reply!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello MSLOAN,

We travel with Eggs each year and started with the bare necessities to get to and from in the beginning.   Inside components add to weight of the XL (already a heavy cooker), so lifting without components is usually best.  We store the firebox/ring back inside the cooker with high density foam at the bottom of the cooker, and a big bath towel as the buffer in between the two parts.   Getting to a contest to find out you have broken internal parts is a problem I don't want to face myself. 

Pot lifter, lifting into truck bed may be easier to do by simply getting under the Egg and lifting with two guys.  I do like the Handler on the XL as it makes moving over grass and rough terrain easier...but lifting out of the nest is no more of a problem.   We ramp into a trailer ourselves, but ramping into a truck bed is steep.

Good luck, have fun.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited May 2014
    Options

Duplicate post.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GrillFellas
    Options
    I use my XL BGE in comps. For safety sake, I remove the "guts" wrap each piece in bubble wrap and put back in. I then use cardboard to secure any movement on the inside. I then strap the lid secure and strap the egg to the wall in my trailer.

Maybe a little much, but I feel the extra care is better than having to replace parts.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I saw this rig at Athens Eggfest 2 years ago. I believe he also does a lot of catering. An ATV ramp and he was in and out of the trailer.

imageimage
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • msloan
    Options
    thanks a bunch for the words of advice!!!!!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    That's a sweet little cart! Looks like a garden cart. Might have to do that for some travel cooks.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HunterGatherer
    Options
    I would also like to use my XL BGE for competition cooks but I think it may put a lot of stress on my BGE wood table. I reinforced the table with extra bolts but I like the idea of leaving the table and using the garden cart. I may look into to getting a small trailer.
    Lawrence