Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken Question?

Options
Jake
Jake Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First Timer to do whole chicks on BGE. Share your eggsperience with me please. Times, temps., grill set up, how much lump, etc. I don't have my Polder yet (on the way).[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    jake, I do mine at 325 dome, indirect, always start with the lump to the top of the fire box, get rid of the manual. Pull when the thigh is 180.

• Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    jake,[p]Best way I've found (and dead simple to do) is Spatchcocked Chicken from our own Naked Whiz, see this link. Rest of his site is a goldmine of information for BGE fans, if you've not discovered it yet.
    [ul][li]Spatchcocked Chicken ala TNW[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    95febc5a.jpg
    <p />jake,[p]I've found that a variation to the Spatchcocked Chicken (halfcocked?)allows me better control of the doneness, moistness and skin crispness in the two halves. I prefer a direct set-up and a raised grate. I start the dark half about 10 or 15 minutes before the white half and cook each to the target doneness. [p]d8c35838.jpg[p]This also works great for brined & smoked chicken with an indirect set-up. The breasts are on stands without beer cans. [p]
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery