Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions on Cuisinart food processor?

Options
mlamb01
mlamb01 Posts: 210
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
In the quest for better/fancier cooks, I am considering getting a food processor for my family.  Right now we have a mandolin slicer that never gets used(for fear of getting cut), a bread machine that never gets used, and one of those chopper things that you pound to chop things.  I'm hoping that this will replace all 3.  Thinking about getting the 11 cup Cuisinart prep plus.  http://www.cuisinart.com/products/food_processors/dlc-2011chb.html  Anyone have one?  I know it does not come with many discs, I will probably get the fry disc and fine grater.  Maybe the julienne disc as well.

I see myself using it for pizza, making the dough, maybe the sauce, and slicing up some of the toppings.  My wife is into the whole CSA thing, she wants something that can rapidly process the produce from it.

Any other options out there worth considering in the $150 to $200 price range?

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have a DLC 7 PRO that has been doing all of the things you mentioned for close to 30 years now.  One of the best kitchen machines I have purchased. It just plain does a good job. If the new ones work as well and hold up like mine you will not be dissappointed.
    Mine cost more than $150 back then so I would venture that you are looking at a lighter duty model.
    FWIW, we use ours to grind hamburger and it is a remarkable improvement over the swill in a tube.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Go get a metal glove, scrap the mandolin pusher and use your hand, palm horizontal to the blade when you get close to it, to push food through. Safe and quick. I also have a DLC7 and love it, but it isn't a substitute for a mandolin.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mines a kitchen aide and i can say i use the small bowl ten to one against the large bowl for different kinds of dipping sauces. its ok for coleslaw but i still like my fingercutter for shedding cabbage better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I have the 14 cup elite and while it's a great machine, I don't hardly ever use it. Somewhat annoying to clean and sits on the shelf. http://www.cuisinart.com/ipad/products/food_processors/fp-14dc
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart pre 1985 (made in Japan) DLC-10E (7 cup). Works great, but I rarely use it. Not worth the clean up hassle. I don't know if it would still be working if had actually used it all these years. Post-1985 units, I believe, were/are made in China. For what that's worth.

I use it for the occasional batch of cole slaw and one of my pizza dough recipes. Otherwise, it's a paperweight.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bojangles
    Options
    I've been happy with mine.  I have a nice mandolin too though.  They both make life easier on the prep side of things.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have a full size Cuisinart food processor, mandolin, and bread maker. I don't find much of an overlap between the functions of these. I am usually deciding between mandolin vs knife, bread maker vs stand mixer, and food processor vs knife/hand shredder. My Cuisinart isn't used much. When preparing large quantities I will use it, but for normal dinners for the family, a knife works well. Cleanup is the issue I don't want to be bothered with. I also have a Cuisinart Mini-prep that I use all the time. It is one of the older, smaller versions (model DLC-1) - I think they have up sized the newer models.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• probe1957
    Options
    I also have one and I too find it annoying to clean and so hardly ever use it.  Just not worth it to chop an onion or two.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    They are good machines.  Had ours for over 20 years, but as others have noted, it doesn't get a lot of use.  Maybe a few time a year, in part due to clean-up time.  We have a small unit maybe about 2 cups that I use it more, but not more than once a month.  It is fast to clean up.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a food processor, and when I mentioned it to SWMBO, she told me that we have had one sitting in the cabinet for the last 8 years.  That's when I decided I probably didn't need one.
    NOLA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2014
    Options

I have one and use it fairly frequently over the last 10 years that I had to find replacement parts on Amazon. If you are into making, creating interesting marinades it is an indispensable tool. True, blenders and stuff can make it, but the consistency that the food processor gives out is different.

Go ahead and acquire one if means allow and you find one a few bucks off. Every kitchen needs one. After all, do you really need an EGG ???

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.