Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time user

Options
Hints for the novice grill user?

Comments

• fljoemon
    Options
    Lots of threads here for the novice user. Your best bet will be to type "newbie" in the Search box on the top right of this forum and click on "Go". and then puruse through the threads. Lods of useful information.

If there is anything specific, don't hesitate to ask .. lot of helpful folks that will surely answer anything you want to know. Welcome to the BGE experience!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Get out there and start cooking... Experience will help more than anything. 

Burp the egg would be my hint.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    My best first timer suggestion is fill your firebox with lump, don't pay attention to the places telling you to only fill it to the holes ect.  Then, build your first fire not planning on cooking anything and learn/understand temperature control.  It is different with your egg than anything else you have ever used.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Beer....enough said
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Also try typing in "noob".
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    If you have specific questions please post. It will be easier to help that way. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Hello @jggreen3 congrats and welcome to the club! What are you planning for your first cook? If you don`t mind I would recommend a spatchcock chicken. If you go to tasty licks bbq website, Fred has a great video on doing a spatch with potatoes and veggies under the bird. That was my first cook and it was awesome! Even though it 0 degrees outside with a -10 windchill. I would suggest baby back ribs for your next cook, they are a easy cook and not expensive and very tasty when done.

Good luck brother!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Naked Whiz's website is loaded with good info.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options

Here's a great ceramic cooking reference site:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  Chances are that the answers many of your initial questions are somewhere on the site. The recipe section describes the spatchcock chix cook, as well. 

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @DMW-posts passing in the ether!  Great minds think alike.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @lousubcap Yep, a classic case of glare (for any telecom folks out there).
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome. As a fairly new eggers myself, I offer a few observations. This forum is packed with lots of useful information so search through the old discussions and pick ups lots of good info. This forum is also packed with very experienced and helpful people. They are always willing to help us newbies. As for the egg itself, here are a few thoughts. The amount of lump determines the length of time a fire will burn and the amount of air entering determines the temperature. It is easier to raise the temp than to lower it. More food has been ruined by too much smoke than by too little - so take it easy at first.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.