Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help from grill gurus!

Options
So last night I tried surf and turf. I did prime filet reverse sear and they were perfect. While resting I put shrimp skewers on direct. Here is the catch. I shut all the vents off to get temp down from the 650 or so I was searing steaks at. I cooked the shrimp with all vents closed and about 5 minutes total. Texture was good but flavor was terrible. Tasted almost like lighter fluid. Could it be the smoldering coals?

Comments

• badinfluence
    Options
    No it was because you killed the fire. Time for a 2nd egg.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    ya closing the vents was the culpritt here. All the nasties were trapped in there. Ez fix. Get another egg for sides. Seriously you could have FTC steaks while egg dropped temp.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options
    +1 on all the above-like snuffing a candle-not a particularly great aroma for food. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Or you could be like @badinfluence and get a grill to cook each of the shrimp individually.  LOL  I agree with the above people.  Let the filet rest for a bit and cook the shrimp.  It is hard to wait though isn't it!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • EggAg99
    Options
    I was pretty hungry so I rushed the shrimp :-). I appreciate the expert advice on the second egg I will use this post as evidence to make sure that happens by Christmas. Thanks to all!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    As said. Time for another Egg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Options
    You don't need another stinking egg! Next time, just sear the steaks first and let them rest in a pan covered with foil. Let the egg come down to temp and throw them back on along with the shrimp. DONE. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX