Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on brisket

Options
I will be pulling my brisket off in an hour or so, at around 190-195 degrees. I will wrap it and let it rest for several hours in a cooler. However, I'm a good 16 hours away from serving it...way longer than a rest period. So do I slice it while it's warm, prior to refrigerating it? Or do I refrigerate it unsliced? And if I do refrigerate it unsliced, do I ultimately slice it before warming it up, or after? I've never had this timing issue before.
Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
Naperville, IL

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    The pros are all getting liquored up at Brisket Camp. Hopefully someone with a lil know how will come through. Stand by.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • CharleyR
    Options
    Actually, I think I now have my answer. I'll make sure i double or even triple wrapped as it rests in the cooler. Then directly to the refrig. When I reheat it, it'll still be unopened and a will slowly bring it it up to serving temp in a covered roasting pan in the oven. Or at least that's what the semi-pros say on other sites.
    Naperville, IL
  • cazzy
    Options
    @CharleyR‌

I don't see any benefit to FTC if you plan to refrigerate. FTC helps if you pull your brisket a lil early, but if you pull it when it's perfect, there is always a chance to overshoot your temp. I'd let it sit on your counter for about 20 minutes, then refrigerate whole.

• cazzy
    Options
    Ultimately I think too many people think FTC is a requirement. Some peeps even plan for it. A brisket is not a fine cut. What you think is juice is really gelatin, so there isn't anything to redistribute.

I only FTC if I'm done 2 or more hours before serving. If y'all are ready to eat, leave it on your counter for 30-60 minutes so it's cooler to handle and dig in.

Food for thought.
  • CharleyR
    Options
    Hey thanks! While I don't know exactly what FTC stands for, by the context I think you're saying why rest it in a cooler if it's going to the refrig anyway. Makes sense to me. I may let it cool a little before hitting the refrig, as I don't want to threaten my valuable beer. But this will let me get to bed at a decent hour. See, the "pro" I needed was available when I needed him. Thanks again!
    Naperville, IL
  • cazzy
    Options
    FTC is:

Foil
    Towel
    Cooler
  • cazzy
    Options
    It's a way to safely hold a protein for hours and hours. Google it.
  • CharleyR
    Options
    Ahhhh, my education continues. Thanks again, my friend!
    Naperville, IL
  • OmahaOne
    Options
    There really is no good way to reheat the meat to taste like it would just after being cooked but here are a couple of different ways: This may sound crazy but I took a BBQ class a few (ok many, many) years ago and we were told to wrap the meat in plastic wrap and place in a 200 degree oven until heated through. Another method to use is, if you have a food saver machine, simply seal the meat, then when you're ready to reheat it, drop it in a pot of boiling water and in a few minutes its ready to eat. Good luck with whatever method you choose.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN