Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Ribs - Yep...made 'em. (Pictures)

Options
I have a co-worker that is always telling me that Fox Bros in Atlanta has the best BBQ and how much he loves the Fried Baby Back Ribs they have.  It felt like a challenge...make some baby backs, fry 'em up and tell him that I'm not so sure that Fox Bros has the "best."

After putting it off for a month because getting the fryer out and wasting all the oil just to experiment (and possibly ruin) with some perfectly good baby back ribs seemed excessive, we had a family get together where I decided we could fry a few different things and it would be my chance to fry these ribs.  I made some pulled pork egg rolls and a fried a couple Snickers bars to share for dessert.

I was told that the batter was a crispy batter, like you'd have for fried chicken and I thought that was the right approach.  My wife was convinced that a tempura-style batter would be better.  So we tried both.  I'm not sure we did the tempura batter correctly because it just didn't come out right.  It wasn't puffy and light, it kind of just fried the rib itself and made it crunchy.   The crispy batter was beer based, it was my wife's idea.  It was awesome.  I don't know exactly what she did but it was coated in the beer mixture and then rolled in the flour mixture and repeated a couple times to get it very well coated.  I fried it for about 3 minutes and it was golden and perfect.

It was amazing.  I'm really surprised I liked it as much as I did.  I figured that frying it wouldn't really make it any better and it was one of those things that didn't need to be fried because it was so good on its own.  A new neighbor came over and say "this is the best rib I've ever had in my entire life."   So I was pretty flattered to hear it.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

Rubbed ribs:

Finished ribs:

Crispy fried ribs:

I've not seen anything like this on here so I hope you guys enjoy!

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Very interesting!!  I bet they're good!

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    looks good to me. I wish I could have tried a bone or two. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's crazy. Looks good. I've done brisket before. Old school Mexican way. No batter. Fry in beef lard at 250 for a hour. Pull it out. Then heat up oil to 350. Cook it till outer part looks a little crispy. It was good. That's before brisket was so high and you could experiment without as much pressure. I think seen it on Rick Bayless cooking show.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Interesting, and a fried product I haven't seen at any of the fairs.
    Options
    I have seen them at Fox brothers, never tried them. Just never sounded appealing to me.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Are these much different than bon bon ribs, found at Chinese restaurants? You cooked the ribs on the egg first right?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    There's a restaurant here in Austin (probably more than one) that has an entire chicken-fried section on their menu: beef ribs, NY strip, chicken and pork chop on their regular menu and pork tenderloin medallions on their brunch.  I haven't had the chop, but the rest is outstanding.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Awesome cook

We had one in Galveston that did deep fried beef ribs as an appetizer. They were normally very good at Happy Hour chased with a cheap cold beer.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    poster said:
    Are these much different than bon bon ribs, found at Chinese restaurants? You cooked the ribs on the egg first right?
    I've never tried the ribs at a Chinese restaurant.  I stick to Kung Pao chicken...mmm.

I did.  About 5 and a half hours on the egg before they were battered and fried.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Did you cool them off back to fridge temps before frying them?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    Did you cool them off back to fridge temps before frying them?
    I didn't get it back down to fridge temp but it did rest for about 30 minutes or so.  Not sure it needed to get back down that cool.  The meat was still really juicy and tender. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Never tried them at Fox Bros. but the place is awesome.  Their wings are amazing as well.  Smoke them low and slow overnight then fry to order to crisp them up.  Ohhhhhhhh mama!!!   =P~
    Thanks for the post.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    Never tried them at Fox Bros. but the place is awesome.  Their wings are amazing as well.  Smoke them low and slow overnight then fry to order to crisp them up.  Ohhhhhhhh mama!!!   =P~
    Thanks for the post.
    Wow...that sounds amazing!!!  Might try that next time we pull the fryer out!
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Ive tried them at Fox Bros because I heard they were orgasmic. They were OK, but I wasnt too impressed. They seemed dry. Could have been a bad day.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA