Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Ribs Norris can cut through a hot knife with butter

Options
13»

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @cazzy killer looking grub! Bookmarked.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @cazzy those ribs make your LBGE look like a SBGE! I've only done beef ribs once and it was a major fail...Did you leave the membrane? How long did it take you to smoke at @ 250 degrees? How the hell can you tell when they are done? Probe or toothpick slides in and out easily?
    They sure did.  I did not remove the membrane and the temp climbed to 275, and I didn't bother bringing it back down.  It took about 6 hours to get right.  To make sure they're done, you can probe them.  You're looking for a butter resistance probe, but be sure you're not probing a fat band.  I cook beef ribs like I cook my brisket, try to do the same...assuming you've made a brisket before.

Thank you for the insight! I haven't cooked brisket yet because it scares me :)) I will search around on the forum for your brisket thread unless you have one handy :D

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Your ribs look great.

I've cooked both Chuck Short Ribs and Plate Ribs.  Plate Ribs are much more expensive and can be quite fatty.  My wife prefers the Chuck RIbs since they usually aren't as fatty.

The important thing is to get them uncut like you did.  They cook much better. Some butchers can't control themselves and cut them even if you tel them not to.  I generally buy mine at Restaurant Depot in cryovac packages.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Shiff said:

Your ribs look great.

I've cooked both Chuck Short Ribs and Plate Ribs.  Plate Ribs are much more expensive and can be quite fatty.  My wife prefers the Chuck RIbs since they usually aren't as fatty.

The important thing is to get them uncut like you did.  They cook much better. Some butchers can't control themselves and cut them even if you tel them not to.  I generally buy mine at Restaurant Depot in cryovac packages.

Thanks. I've cooked several slabs of beef chuck ribs...always get them uncut.

I prefer the taste of plate short ribs, but I unfortunately can't find them in SA.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....