Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss Meat Probe

Options
Does any know the range of the flame boss meat probe? Mine is reading 72 degrees in meat just taken out of the fridge.
Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I discussed this with the owner of FB a while back. When it was designed it was speced out that the lowest it would read is the ambient temp of the control unit.  There is a reference thermocouple internal to the head unit.  Since it is a cooking only controller, there is no real need of showing temps lower than that. As soon as the meat gets warmer than the surrounding air temp, the display will start to climb. In some industrial temperature controllers that will never be used for cooling operations this is a design parameter that can be selected.  It allows for better accuracy as calibration does not have as wide a span as a unit that has to go from say -40°F to 500°F.  You can have it go from ambient to the thermocouple high limit (typical type K are 2500°F). Even in the case of sous vide the controller would function properly as it is a heating application although a relatively low temp.
    I accidentally discovered this same thing when I was working on a defective refrigerator and thought I would just pop the probe into the freezer to check its' temperature.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • AR_Pork_Producer
    Options
    Thanks. I got in touch with flame boss and they explained it to me. I figured something as much because at a higher temp it would read like my thermapen.
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss