Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Saver Hints?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, finally got a Food Saver...killer after Christmas sale @ Kohl's ! So looking for hints on what everyone uses theirs for...like suggestions on marinating stuff, reheating tips, etc. Really looking forward to buying in bulk now, and not seeing so many leftovers going bad!

Comments

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    GMS,
    How much was it at Kohl's? I'm looking to get one at a good price. Thanks.

• Well, it was their early bird sale, so no longer availible. But it was 800 model, IIRC, $99.00, marked down to $59, and they gave me a $10 giftcard/coupon at the register. So basically half off.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Spring Chicken found a great deal on the 2440 Food Saver at Sam's for $119. Naturally, it was after the Christmas sale but we got it anyway. Wish we could have found a good deal like you guys. The one thing we learned while playing with it is if you don't want something to get smashed you can hit the "seal" button before it completes its sealing process. It does leave a little air in the bag but at least it's not smashed. I saw where they have containers you can purchase instead of using the bags i.e. for lettuce....got to get me some of those. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we are.....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    GMS,
    I've had one for years. In fact I have had two. It's the most used appliance in my kitchen. I think one of the best things about it is the boil-in-bag capability. I found that is the best way to reheat everything cooked on the Egg as opposed to microwaving.
    Costco Card, Deep freezer, and Vacuum sealer. Three of the best things to have when we just can't stop that Big Green Wonder.

• GMS,Ive had one for 5 years now> I use it every day. Left overs, buying in bulk> Example left over beef stock, Fill a tuperware container and freeze it. Pop it out and seal it. Soups are the same. A lot of items seal better if they are frozen first.Good luck BR

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    GMS,
    Love my FoodSaver! Did a couple of pork shoulders last week and have several packages in the freezer now for those days when a sammich or two is what's needed. I pack whole meals and freeze them for two big fishing trips I make each year to eastern Maine. Did 7 days worth on meals and the guy I fish with proposed!! Took the Mini Egg to grill on. Anyway, We get a lot of milage out of the FoodSaver. Steaks, chops, artisan breads, on sale(Freeze the bread first then bag. Got fresh picked blueberries in the bags rinse freeze on a cookie sheet and bag. Did a bunch of fresh string beans blanch, dry bag and freeze. No end to the things you can do.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi GMS,
    I'm on my 3rd Foodsaver in about 5 years. I do a lot of brining & liquid gets sucked into the pump shortening the life of my units.
    The good side of that is the Foodsaver folks sell me reconditioned ones for $50 & if I remember correctly that includes shipping.
    I hear the new Pro 3 has a moist mode and moisture isn't a problem. But @ $279 or so for the Pro 3 I opted for the rebuilt Pro 2.
    Best cooking gadget I have besides my KitchenAid & 2large Eggs.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    GMS, You will need a chest freezer. Ours is full of BBQ Beans, Pulled Pork, Onion soup, White bean and ham soup, Beef and Barley soup all frozen in 1 quart yogurt containers, removed from the containers and sealed. Just pop the item of your choice into a pan of water and start to simmer an hour later cut open the bag and serve. It is great.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    GMS,GREAT INVESTMENT, you will be using it a lot. We buy rub in large quantities and then seal it up in bags with about what we will use at a contest. We also take one to contest and seal up our extra product so it's ready to go in the freezer when we get home.Write a date on the bags with a magic marker so you'll use up old stock first. We also seal fruits, berries, and shelled nuts.
    The only problem we have is you can end up with to much stuff in the freezer.
    Good Luck,
    Poppasam[p]

• usa doug
    Options
    GMS,
    We just got through packing over 30 lb. shelled pecans. They keep well in the freezer.[p]I would like to find a good cheap source for bags and rolls.

• Thanks for all the replys![p]Any hints on marinating? I was thinking about when I buy a 3 rack pack of ribs @ Sams's but only want to egg one...can I mustard & rub the racks, then seal and freeze???
    Or how about pork chops...can I put them in a bag with marinade and seal then freeze, so I just need to pull one out of the freezer, thaw and whack it on the egg???

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    GMS,
    go ahead and call me a cheap *ss if you wish, but if you plan to start sealing whole racks of ribs you'll find out pretty soon that those continuous bag rolls get mighty expensive. OTOH while some people wash them and reuse - I never do reuse any that have had raw pork, nor chicken, nor any liquids - in fact I don't reuse many at all! As for marinading and freezing - I prefer to freeze the meat first first, then thaw and then marinade using the Food Saver marinade dish. They aren't that expensive and they work well.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.