Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzone Help

Options
OK so Publix had fresh pizza dough BOGO this week and I picked a couple thinking about making some calzones. I searched the forum a bit and saw some cooks with the plate setter legs up and then a pizza stone over that. Some pics show them with wax paper or something between the the food and the stone? What paper is being used and why? Also any tips on egg set up or recipes are welcome.
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Don't use wax paper, what you are seeing is parchment paper. Parchment paper is great for stuff like this. Build your calzones and place them on parchment paper on a peel. Use the peel to slide the parchment with calzones onto the stone. The setup you mentioned is what you want. PS legs up, cooking grid, pizza stone on the grid. Cook temp around 450* or so.

Here are some I did last night. I decided I prefer pizza over calzone. I think calzones are just too "doughy" for me.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    The paper is probably parchment paper. It allows you to make your pizza or
    Calzone and then transfer it to the Egg easily and take it off. As far as tips I can't help all that much. Raised is definitely the way to go and I don't have the equipment YET. Stopped doing pizza until then because I was burning the crusts.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Here is what my family would do.  Get your calzone made only make sure you seal it REAL well.  Heat a pan of vegetable oil to about 350 then slowly slip the pizza into the oil and let it deep fry.  After it is golden brown, remove and let sit to drop some of the grease.  Put your sauce in a bowl then hold the pizza and dip into the sauce. MMMMMMM

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,367
    Options
    Ive never made one but have eaten some good ones at my local pizza joint. They're oven baked on pizza pans and take longer to cook than pizza. Not doughy at all.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    Options
    What I meant by "doughy" is the dough to other ingredients ratio. Wrong terminology in hindsight. If it is truly "doughy" it is underbaked. I prefer thin crust pizza where the crust is merely the delivery mechanism for the sauce, cheese, and topping if that makes sense.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Options
    DMW said:
    What I meant by "doughy" is the dough to other ingredients ratio. Wrong terminology in hindsight. If it is truly "doughy" it is underbaked. I prefer thin crust pizza where the crust is merely the delivery mechanism for the sauce, cheese, and topping if that makes sense.

Gotcha misunderstood ya there. Thinking about stuffing with my pizza favorites and maybe some fresh spinach. Might suck but ya got to start somewhere.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @Dobie - I have a Publix nearby and was thinking about getting some dough for pizzas. What is your experience with Publix dough? Is it any good?
  • DMW
    Options
    Two of those had BBQ sauce, leftover pulled pork, and cheese. That was really good and my 10 year old son destroyed one all by himself.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dobie
    Options
    @Zarcon‌ I've only used it once before and it was before I got the egg. Made a pizza in the oven and it was pretty good but for the money and time I spent I could have went to my local dynamite pizza joint. The dough was good and cooked nice on my pizza stone. You get two dough balls for $2.79 with the BOGO so not a big deal if I mess up.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Parchment for the first few minutes then I pull to get a nice crust. Be aware the dough from Publix has a good bit of sugar in it so I wouldn't go too hot on pit temp Chris.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @Dobie - Thanks!

@NPHuskerFL - Thank you too for the heads up. BTW, how did you know my name was Chris? haha
  • Dobie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ does it stick to the stone without the paper or just easier to move from work surface to hot stone with it? How hot? I was thinking about 500
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Dobie‌ 500℉ is fine. Make sure to have a air space between the PS and the stone same as pizza set-up. Parchment allows a wetter dough to be placed without sticking to the peel or a lite dusting of cornmeal etc would also work (same as pizza)---except a calzone will be on longer than a pizza so the parchment paper keeps the bottom from getting done too quickly.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    Jacksonville FL
  • fljoemon
    Options
    Here is a video using the BGE Calzone Press to make the calzones ...
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • tjosborne
    Options
    fljoemon said:

Here is a video using the BGE Calzone Press to make the calzones ...

Great. Another eggcessory I think I need now.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,065
    Options
    Venting and brushing the top with some egg wash will give a really nice texture and color on top. Also, bulking them up with lots of ricotta is deeeelicious!! :)
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @tjosborne‌ I've made calzones several times but never on the Egg. I would say save your money on the press. A knife works well to cut the dough and a fork works just fine to seal the edges. Just dip your finger in a little water and run it between the seam. Press with fork. You can also fold the bottom over the top and press. If that doesn't work give the press a try but you shouldn't have any problems.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    DMW said:
    Don't use wax paper, what you are seeing is parchment paper. Parchment paper is great for stuff like this. Build your calzones and place them on parchment paper on a peel. Use the peel to slide the parchment with calzones onto the stone. The setup you mentioned is what you want. PS legs up, cooking grid, pizza stone on the grid. Cook temp around 450* or so.

Here are some I did last night. I decided I prefer pizza over calzone. I think calzones are just too "doughy" for me.

@DMW, I just had a pizza class for the egg today and the reason the doughy, because it appears you didn't cut any holes it the crust to let it get all the way done. We made two by accident today when parchment paper wasn't placed under the crust before putting toppings on. They poked the crust with a fork a few times and they came out great. I will be posting photos and a write on it tomorrow. Give that a try next time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.