Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beer Butt Chicken

Options
Bought a beer can stand from my BGE dealer and it worked pretty well. The bird was a little small so it didn't go all the way down. Cooked around 375 for 55 minutes and my thermopop read 160. It came out great but wish the skin was a little crispier. I think it's because I didn't use much butter or oil on the
outside. Any advice on the skin? 

Dallas, TX

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I cook a whole chicken direct, raised grid, 375-400 degrees and pull when thighs reach 180. Usually have crispy skin and nice coloring. I spray just enough olive oil on the bird for the rub to stick to the skin.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Good call on the direct grill, I used the plate setter and that probably didn't help. 
    Dallas, TX
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Once you go spatchcock, you never go back

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Raised direct has worked for me as far as crispier skin, yours looks great, I also enjoy my stand up racks, mine are a little different.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've never done beer can chicken, but I get the crispest skin if I season it and place uncovered in the refrigerator for a bit. No oil used at all. I took the advice from others on the forum and started with spatchcock. It seemed difficult at first, but prepping a spatchcock is actually faster than pounding out 5 to 6 burgers.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming