Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheaper alternative to Thermapen

Options
Found this at amazon.com and reviews seem decent for the price.

You can get the white one at a 20% discount using code  LAVSS914 at checkout.
LBGE & Mini
Orlando, FL

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Do you have one?  I just purchased a Thermapen this morning.... I am not opposed to a cheaper alternative either.  Just 1s difference between the two.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fljoemon
    Options
    I just bought it .. won't get it until Tuesday, so perhaps then I can comment on how good it is :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    The Thermapen wasn't prime either... Prime will spoil you when ordering something that isn't...
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    I use this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gives me readings instantly and I haven't died yet from eating anything not cooked right. ;)
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• EggPlant
    Options
    fljoemon said:

Found this at amazon.com and reviews seem decent for the price.

You can get the white one at a 20% discount using code  LAVSS914 at checkout.
    Thanks for the discount code. Just bought one.
    Mundelein, IL
  • Mr Holloway
    Options

Just bought 5 ThermaPops

$21 each when you buy 5

5-8 sec readings, rotating display, same quality as the Pen

Haven't used mine, but the other four owners(two have thermapens) are very happy

Shane

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have an inexpensive digital one that said it read fast, but it seems to take about 30 seconds to stabilize.  I wasn't able to convince myself that for the amount I use it, I could justify upgrading to a $100 thermapen, but for <$25, I might just have to get this one.  It has great reviews already.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

Just bought 5 ThermaPops

$21 each when you buy 5

Haven't used mine, but the other four owners(two have thermapens) are very happy

Shane

I have both and am very happy with the thermapop. I don't think mine takes 5 seconds. Seems faster.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Just bought 5 ThermaPops

$21 each when you buy 5

Shane

I have the ThermaPop and like it except when doing steaks or something at high temp I have to use my welders gloves so won't burn my hand. I would like the one that is 2 seconds, but this will do for now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

LOL...ok everyone is looking at $21 vs. $96 or the difference of $75..

Everone on here says ...I have 2 eggs...or I have a plate setter and a WOO...or use this lump...or what ever..

even the cheapest egg is expensive...so for the $75 ...just buy the TPen....unless you are going to use that $75 with a 10% interest rate..you can have $3,676..in 63 years.....so if you can retire...early..on $3,600...save your  $75....

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have Thermopop. Works fine. Half the time I still just cook steaks til I think they feel right. I dont get many complaints. I guess when I do the complainers can buy me a damn TPen.

Little Rock, AR

• Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    Thermapens are like Big Green Eggs! There is not a thing better! Do not be fooled by a cheap price!
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    bcsnave said:

LOL...ok everyone is looking at $21 vs. $96 or the difference of $75..

Everone on here says ...I have 2 eggs...or I have a plate setter and a WOO...or use this lump...or what ever..

even the cheapest egg is expensive...so for the $75 ...just buy the TPen....unless you are going to use that $75 with a 10% interest rate..you can have $3,676..in 63 years.....so if you can retire...early..on $3,600...save your  $75....

That's 30lbs of pork loin or 40lbs of chicken for me now or 1440 lbs of pork loin or 1905 lbs of chicken in 63 years.

easy decision
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm sure thermapens are the best, and when my T-pop craps out I'll buy one. Until then, I just don't see it as a necessity. Yall are right in that in the grand scheme of things a hundred bucks doesnt mean a whole lot when you look at the cost of an egg, but at the same time if I don't NEED it I just don't NEED it. Can spend it on something else for the time being.

Little Rock, AR

• Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    The saying is, "the outcome is Priceless" ! That is for Big Green Eggs and Thermapens!
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    I have a Thermapen and absolutely love it! It has improved my results more than any accessory I own. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an instant read your thermometer.

That said, if you can find a thermometer that meets your needs, more power to you! Please share your thoughts and opinions. 

I just bought a thermapop for my in laws and I hope they like it. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    They will. Its not the BEST, but it works.

Little Rock, AR

• bcsnave
    Options

the cost of an egg & accessories...I just don't get why people are all freaked out about $90 thermo...

Hell when someone says...get a KJ ..everyone is all over the person..."BGE is the best" .."You get what you pay for..blah..blah.."

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options
    I'm sure thermapens are the best, and when my T-pop craps out I'll buy one. Until then, I just don't see it as a necessity. Yall are right in that in the grand scheme of things a hundred bucks doesnt mean a whole lot when you look at the cost of an egg, but at the same time if I don't NEED it I just don't NEED it. Can spend it on something else for the time being.
    If you want to Grill or smoke..you don't NEED a Big green Egg..why spend the money on it..buy a WEBER

Glenbeulah, WI

• Terrebandit
    Options
    Give it a shot. It's got a lifetime warrenty.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Love my Thermapen! However, for steak I still use still use this method and it works perfectly.

Steps on How To Cook a Steak with Gordon Ramsay: http://youtu.be/rEx9gPhtjzs
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bcsnave
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hey Husker....how do you test to see if your meat is firm.....you really play with your meat :)>-

(I know you have a Tpen)

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @bcsnave‌ I'm a medium rare guy. HuskerMaMa is a well done girl :-q (it pains me to cook a steak well done but, happy wife happy....) :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bcsnave
    Options

lol

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    bcsnave said:

Hey Husker....how do you test to see if your meat is firm.....you really play with your meat :)>-

(I know you have a Tpen)

It's hell doing this method when cooking caveman.
    =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    bcsnave said:

the cost of an egg & accessories...I just don't get why people are all freaked out about $90 thermo...

Hell when someone says...get a KJ ..everyone is all over the person..."BGE is the best" .."You get what you pay for..blah..blah.."

I will say that $$$ was a big concern when I was looking at upgrading my analog thermo. @BYS1981‌ suggested that I look at the ThermoPops. I'm glad I got one. I will say there's a few times that I wished it was a little faster to reduce heat on my hand and arm. But overall, I like the design of my ThermoPop better than the Tpens, and we all know how much looks count in the world of coolness.

Anyway, I think all people freak out about money when it comes to parting with it. It's human nature. Just depends on priorities. It's like when I buy a truck and everyone(esp, the salesman) try's talking me into the one with more options. I hear some of the things your saying like "if your spending this amount, then you should just spend the extra 5-10k to get the best." And my all time favorite was the sales guy telling me how I needed the built in GPS to navigate. I told the idiot that we live in Wyoming and it's not very often we need directions in this state. His up sale tactics didn't work.

Wow, can't believe I just wrote all that. Sorry about the rant, it's just that $75. extra for a thermo just is not that important to some people. With that said, at some point I'm sure a Tpen is in my future. It will be at that time I will jump on the Tpen mad-mobile. But until that time comes I'll defend my Tpop decision, because we all like to convince ourselves that our choices are justified.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If money is important to you, you simply can't afford not to buy the best. (stolen from another poster)

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ thanks for the video. It's a great help.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited September 2014
    Options
    For me, the choice was very easy. The T-pop didn't exist and all of the others were slow as the dial type which I already owned several of.  T-pen was a nobrainer. It improved my success rate immensely and is used for more than the Egg.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bcsnave
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Bettysnewphew..I agree..In my life I have bought things that were "good enough"...then after a while a bought the item I really wanted...and the "good enough" item just sits..wasted my money..should have purchased what I wanted to begin with

Glenbeulah, WI