Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on chicken wings?

Options
I want to do some wings tonight, never done them on the egg. I don't have a raised direct setup, just the plate setter. I used to do a 2 zone fire on the weber. I cooked them about 30 minutes to render on the indirect side, then crisped them up on the direct side, and tossed them in some sauce. Any suggestions on translating my old way to what I've got now? Thanks in advance!
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• fljoemon
    Options
    Use some fire bricks to raise your cooking grid to do raised direct.

Here's a good way to do it: 
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I cook wings every week and do them at around 300 direct for about 45, flip once. Raised direct is better but I'm sure normal height will work fine. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You can get a 100+ responses on how to cook wings. All personal preference. Try a few and see what works for you. You can cook them at 350-400 indirect with the plate setter (or convEggtor which I hear they are calling it now) till almost done and then pull it out and crisp them up direct if you are trying to translate your old way over to the Egg. Nothing wrong with that. I've done it before. Also gone indirect for the whole cook at 400. And direct. And direct raised. Just depends on what how you want to do it. If you go indirect, there will be less tending to them, no flipping required.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I prefer cooking wings indirect.  When possible I like to raise them higher than the felt line because higher in the dome helps get them crispy, but they will be fine cooking at the felt line.  They take a little longer to cook because you get less radiant heat, but you also don't have to worry about flipping them.  

You could always remove the plate setter and put them on direct for a while to simulate your old method if you have some welders gloves.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I would think if you are wanting to duplicate your old way you could go indirect with the platesetter in and then direct with it out. That would be about the same as your old method. But I would agree with the others on raised direct. You can get creative to come up with a setup for this. Someone on here has even made a raised direct out of empty aluminum cans. I would give credit if I could remember.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Griffin
    Options

One thing to consider is if you are using a marinade. If so, I would go indirect. I find that using a marinade + all the fat dripping down from the wings = really smoky wings. Often times too smoky.

And if you go indirect, don't forget to wrap your plate setter with foil for ease of clean up after.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Griffin said:

One thing to consider is if you are using a marinade. If so, I would go indirect. I find that using a marinade + all the fat dripping down from the wings = really smoky wings. Often times too smoky.

And if you go indirect, don't forget to wrap your plate setter with foil for ease of clean up after.

Griffin forgot to add that tots are a requiremnet as well.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    If I am doing a small batch - I prefer raised direct at around 350-375.  I did 20 lbs of wings in 2 shifts a few weeks ago for my son's football team and after about 20 minutes of having 10 lbs of wings on the egg, the melting fat was causing flare ups so I added the platesetter and a drip pan to avoid that.

Just a thought.
    XL BGE
  • Griffin
    Options
    Yes, as @Eggcelsior said tots are a requirement. I thought that went without saying. Try wrapping them in bacon for an even unhealthier kick.

Rowlett, Texas

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Do you still have the Weber? I cook wings on my Weber still its much easier to get the results I want.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas - I was worried about grease flareups so maybe I'll start indirect and if they don't get crispy then soak my hands in ice water and grab the platesetter off! Tots.... Mmmmm.... Haven't done those either
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

+1 all that @Griffin said.

I personally prefer indirect, you do sacrifice some skin crispiness but I get distracted easily (Squirrel!!!) and indirect is like having an insurance policy against burnt wings.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Throw the plate setter in there and cook them indirect. If you have a way to handle the plate setter hot, remove wings about 40 minutes in, sauce them, return to grill and cook direct for about 15 minutes. If not just cook them indirect and take them out to the outside edge to crisp them up a bit.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Raised direct. 350. 30 minutes, turn, 15 minutes more or to desired crispness. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• blind99
    Options
    @lit yep it's sitting in the corner, looking sad. If the torrential rain stops maybe I'll be able to try some wings tonight. And some pizzas too.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @blind99 the only way I have found to get the same results as the Weber is do them direct to start then put the plate setter in and finish them indirect. I cook wings on my Weber exactly the opposite of you. Hot to crisp the skin first then move them over to finish. If you do this on the egg you won't have to move a hot platesetter but not having a raised direct option you will have to flip constantly at the fire ring level and make sure you keep the bottom vent fully closed with the lid open and flip flip flip.
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    I just did wings and ABTs for the first time and they came out pretty good. Check them out if you want.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170542/wings-abts#latest

Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • blind99
    Options
    @Dillonjm‌ those looked awesome. I did mine indirect, they weren't bad, but not a home run. After a few beers I didn't want to grab the plate setter off and risk scorching the wings over direct heat. So I settled for a double. Then did a couple of pies. Nothing like a pepperoni pizza and a cold beer on a Friday night.
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    @blind99 Nice job, glad everything turned out so good.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • blind99
    Options
    Thanks -- grill + friends and family + cold beer = all good. It's been proven. Now a little Arthur Verocai and I'm happy.
  • TheSlyBear
    Options
    Indirect for me. 400º for about 45 minutes or so.

• TheSlyBear
    TheSlyBear Posts: 7
    edited September 2014
    Options
    And yes, I know I need to replace my gasket. ;)
  • canman
    Options
    I was doing wings for the NFL game Thursday and came across the 30-20-10 recipe here in the forum. 375 deg, indirect. 30 min, flip, 20 min, sauce, 10 min. They turned out great.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • blind99
    Options
    @TheSlyBear‌ is that a drip pan under the grill? I foiled my plate setter but got a grease fire at one point. Those are some tasty looking wings.
  • TheSlyBear
    Options
    @blind99 Yes, I wrapped the plate setter with foil, and used a shallow drip pan to catch the majority of the drippings. Works pretty well. Sometimes I use a foil pizza pan 'cause it covers more of the plate setter.

The wings were great. I marinated them in equals parts lemon juice and soy sauce overnight.