Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question...

Options
I've pretty much given up on making pizza on the egg, but I thought at least I would ask. 

I burnt the crap out of the bottom of the pizza (after 5 minutes), but the top was not as cooked as we would like.  The pepperoni was not crispy at all...

2nd pizza, I rotated it every couple of minutes, the crust did not burn, but it was done, and still the pepperoni was not cooked well.  

Only ingredients in the dough was Flour, Water, Yeast and Salt....Setup was PS, Grate, and the Pizza Steel and the egg was never over 550.  

I make pizza every Sunday in the oven, but tried it on the egg, and frankly can't understand why I would do it again.  I rather stay inside in the AC than go out to make sure the egg is not burning dinner.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    First question...how high in the dome do you get it?  That could be what you're missing - raise the pizza steel.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    It was right about at the felt line...

Dallas, TX

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    You need to try and get it a little higher in the dome if the top isn't getting done or lower you temp a bit.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont have that setup or the steel but i go hotter and higher, you could also cool the stone down with a wet towel before tossing on the pie. are you buying precut roni or the white sticks, the slices off the white stick pepperoni curl up and crisp better on the edges where the precut stuff lays limp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I cook the pizza with platesetter legs down, grill grate as an air gap, then a ceramic pizza stone (preheated). I cook at the gasket line, about 550-600. Egg well-pre-heated.. Comes out great for me. Browns the top nicely and the crust is nice and firm, but not crispy. LIttle bit of crunch, nice and chewy.

I've been meaning to try getting the ceramic stone higher up in the dome. I had an old 13 inch grate sitting around from an old Smokey Joe. I bought some stainless steel bolts and nuts to get it raised but I apparently misplaced them. I don't feel compelled...my current method works great for me and the people I cook for.

There are those on here, I've seen in some of the pizza threads, who swear that there's no difference in taste between the oven and the Egg. They would tell  you that there's probably no reason for you to switch from the oven to the Egg.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @maccool  I'll give it another try the way you explained, but I could not tell the difference in taste.  I actually enjoy making the pizza in the oven as it is EASY!  

Dallas, TX

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I have cooked hundreds of pies in the egg all with better results than any oven.  First off if your pizza steel is cast iron DO NOT wipe it with a wet towel.  Cold water and hot CI causes breakage.

I cook most my pies at felt line 475-525 dome.  I let my BGE pizza stone heat for 1 hour (from start time) use a homemade crust rolled thin and loaded with toppings.  Cook time is anywhere from 7-12 minutes depending on how many toppings we put.  It sounds like your stone/steel was way to hot and burnt the crust before the toppings cooked.  Unless you are making true Neapolitan pizza there is no need to go 600+ degrees.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @b&Bknox I agree that the steel was too hot...obviously, but I can't see how to cool it off, as the egg was near 500 the whole time...

and that's a good looking pie...

Here is one I made in the oven at 550...see how the top is browned and the pepperoni has curled? That is what I was looking for from the egg...

Dallas, TX

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    We put our pepperoni under the shredded cheese so it won't curl like you want but made the way you do the oven it should.  Try getting the egg to 500 dome and then only put your steel in for 20-25 mins before you put the pie on.  That way the stone should be hot enough but not to hot.  Also if you have an IR thermometer you could check the steels temp, my BGE stone is usually 450 or so when the pie goes on.  BTW I go legs up on PS, I also use a PSwoo2 which puts my pie at rutland (felt) level.  I have used an extender to go 4" higher and that works, but just easier to go felt line.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just because you temp was reading 500 does not mean you baking steel was not hotter. 
    When you have the platesetter legs up and steel on the cooking grate at felt level so much hot air is rounding the platesetter and hitting the bottom of the baking steel that you are burning the bottom. Put a cheapo solid pizza pan on top your BGE grate, add some kind of spacer to raise you up 2 inches or so. Put your baking steel on top the spacers. This will protect the bottom of your steel from getting toooo hot and raise your pizza a little more into the dome. 
    Don't give up. You just had to much hot air buzzing the bottom of your baking steel.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Higher in the dome and a smaller gap between the cooking stone/steel and indirect piece will let air flow around the pie better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Got it...let me see what I can do next week.

Dallas, TX

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    One trick I do to crisp up the pepperoni is to put it in the microwave with paper towels on each side for 45 seconds or so.  This allows it not only to get a little crispy but also removes some of the grease from the pepperoni.  SWMBO hates a greasy pizza.  LOL   My problem is burning the crust, which is why I'm looking at getting an AR.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Get the stone higher in the dome with some airflow between it and the platesetter, and run it at a lower temp.

But in general I agree with you that there is a negligible flavor difference oven vs. egged. Most of the time I do my pizza's (and I make it at least once a week, often more) in the oven. Egging pizza to me is worth it when you have a crowd (cause it is fun) or when the weather is nice and I just want to be outside

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • llrickman
    Options
    I do mine Plate setter legs down , BGE "feet" on top of that and pizza stone on top of the feet . Usually cook 475-525 8-10 min

Ive only done a few but they have all come ok pretty good , They get better each time i do one
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    On the LBGE I put the PS legs down then grill on that and next pizza stone. If you have good lump you can get the heat to 650-700 pretty quick. Once it gets up to about 500 I put the PS and grill in. I wait until that stabilizes temp to 675 then put in pizza stone for about 20-25 mins... If you use parchment paper on bottom of pizza you'll tell if it's burning. I cook 5-7 mins. depending on look. Even after a few pizzas and the temp cools down a bit they still cook well.
  • Maccool
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Man, you guys make it all so complicated. I just roll out the crust (bought as a dough ball, aged and risen, from the local pizza place) on some parchment, throw a bunch of toppings on and cook it. Only thing I do for prep is to brown the Italian sausage (if I'm using Italian sausage). I've never worried about the toppings not cooking. My biggest challenge has been judging how done the crust is after my third beer.

Years ago, when I first decided to cook pizza on the BGE, I went to the NakedWhiz web site and just kind of followed their directions. I've never has a reason to change.
  • Maccool
    Options
    Here's a BBQ chicken pizza I cooked per above. Toppings are nicely browned, the crust was perfect (for me). Certainly not burnt, not even overly crispy, even though I rolled the dough out pretty thin.