Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg home (Not table)

Options
Going to be adding a roof over my back patio, next to our deck ... I thought the Egg & Table needed a better environment :D I was keeping it under the Ole' blue pop up :(( and just couldn't stand it any longer ... Pics during build to follow ... Going to top it off with Hunter Green metal roof

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    you open to a suggestion? By the shade on your home it appears to me you may have trees overhanging close by. I'd suggest installing some type of gutter guard on the stretch of gutter that will now be blocked by new patio roof. That is unless you like to climb up on your roof to clean them that way vs. a ladder on the ground
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @RRP always open to suggestions  ;) yes we have a few large oaks ..I currently do have gutters guards on all the gutters...I am however going under the eve on this project ...I have to get up on the roof twice a year with a blower to get all those squigglies and branches/twigs off >:P

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Couple updates :) coming along nicely

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Looks good u doing it yourself?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Lookin good!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is looking really nice.  I want to do something like this as well.   My current roofing system leaves a little to be desired. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    In Jax? Looks familiar in surroundings ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

@RRP always open to suggestions  ;) yes we have a few large oaks ..I currently do have gutters guards on all the gutters...I am however going under the eve on this project ...I have to get up on the roof twice a year with a blower to get all those squigglies and branches/twigs off >:P

We do it every other month. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Looking very good!
    Are you planning ahead to a way to exhaust smoke from smokier cooks out from under the cover?
    That's a lesson I learned the hard way!
    :))
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @tcampbell‌ me and a couple buds
    @minniemoh‌ thank you
    @SmokeyPitt‌ I feel your pain lol got tired of the pop up too!
    @NPHuskerFL‌ ain't it a PITA !!!!
    @jaydub58‌ I've experimented with a fan while I was using the tent and it was enough to move the smoke from undercover ... My hope with this roof is that the smoke will follow the rise and exhaust itself out ... If not I will install a fan on the wall

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Got the sheating on - used Pressure treated 4" O.C. t-111 upside down for a a T&G look ... Routed all the joists ... Only thing left is the Hunter Green metal roofing :)

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Looks great!!  Good Job!

I did something similar a few years back.

This weekend I have been constructing an outdoor shed 10X12 to store my BBQ accessories, lump, and any other items that need to vacate our garage. I probably have a few days left before completion.

Just about to head out for some last minute supplies.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • RRP
    Options

We do it every other month. B-)
    Every month??? I haven't cleaned my gutters in 9 years now since I popped for Gutter Helment  and we have overhanging oak trees. Best money I ever spent on a home improvement!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Nicely done, looks great. I am thinking of doing the same thing or a retractable awning when I have the money, but for this will have to do.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ I was going to do the retractable awnings as well ... The sun setter brand ... After pricing them out mine would have been 10 x 16 it was over 2 grand !! And that wasn't with all the toys that you'd want to add to it ... The cheaper ones they don't give you as many choices on colors and they aren't as good as fabric so they make you want to upgrade etc etc ... So I just decided to go framed style :)

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ Yep. Pop-up works fine ;)

But, I'm wanting a motorized retractable awning in the future too.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @mcmac‌ have you ever looked into the wood sheds at the Home Depot ... I priced them out as if I was going to build one myself and it was much cheaper to have then do it ... I know this one is bigger than your talking about but it's an example :

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Best-Barns-Belmont-12-ft-x-20-ft-Wood-Storage-Shed-Kit-with-Floor-including-4x4-Runners-belmont-1220df/203242401?cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-203242401-_-x

BTW a 10x12 for all your egg accessories :) whooo these things do get expensive don't they

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @NLHuskerFL, is the inside of your pop up black? The SWMBO is worried about it. The issue it 2 or 3 people to put it up, but 2k is a lot and I want a 12x24 cover. I am going to price out some lumber now, but am also designing a new outdoor kitchen with a built-in roof.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @BigGreenGator‌ ...running electric or water?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @henapple‌ ?? I'm not understanding your question ... :) sorry went back and read the entire thread lol

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Are you running any electrical outlets or water taps? A ceiling fans - lights would be nice. A sink that could drain down the yard somewhere?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @henapple‌ oh gotcha :) yeah already have two outlets and two light fixtures one on each side of doors ... In going to hand a wall mounted fan in one corner and also put in a flat screen

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Last pic ... Finally completed :)

• RRP
    Options
    Looks nice! BTW that's an interesting angle...did you climb a tree to get it?
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Thanks @RRP My deck is right beside the patio it sits about 1-1/2 feet above ground level .. I was standing on the deck bench to get the pic ... Sad thing is I spent extra money to get the green roofing instead of plain galvanized and you really can't see it from ground level :( oh well at least the eavesdrip can be seen LOL

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    I have added to the roof over from earlier this year to included a concrete / fire pit area ... Definitely adds to the egging experience ... Also just purchased a custom stainless steel grate for oysters and maybe some open grillng as well ... I had my crew over for a little after inventory / Christmas party a few days ago