Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Planning Double Beef Tenderloin Cook on Friday - For 18 People to Eat on Sunday!

Options
So, my wife was bragging to her mom about my Eggcelent cooking skills and the last Beef Tenderloin I did, and next thing you know, I've been volunteered to cook a couple Beef Tenderloins for 18 people.  So as the title says, I need to cook them Friday evening after work and we'll eat them on Sunday evening.  Oh yeah, forgot to mention...me and the Egg are in Atlanta and the party Sunday is in Chattanooga.  I will not haul my Egg to Chattanooga, so I need to cook Friday evening before we leave to go up Saturday AM.  I have two tenderloins, one is 4.15 lbs and the other is 4.75 lbs.

Questions:  
Should I even try this?

At what temp should I pull them?  Was thinking to just pull early after the meat takes the smoke.

Should I FTC afterward or wait and just let them cool, then wrap and refrigerate?

How should I reheat?  Slice and grill on a gasser in Chatt?  Heat in foil in an Oven and then slice?

Any help from someone who has done something similar would be appreciated.

Thanks
BJ

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm normally one of the first people to try and help. But that being said I can't offer anything useful for you on this subject. I have cooked and eaten more than my fair share of beef tenderloins but have never tried holding one. I hope that someone who has can offer you some advice on the subject. Sorry my friend and good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @OVERULD‌
    Try contacting @DMW. There is a very good chance that he has done this before. @nolaegghead‌ also comes to mind. Both are very astute and accomplished cooks in their trade.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hashissmokin
    Options
    Beef Tenderloin=Too rich for my blood.  Especially for a large crowd.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I don't think I would do it. That would need to be eaten right after it is cooked I would think. Just my $.02
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have not done beef tenderloin for a crowd. I would be afraid an extended FTC would overcook due to carryover cooking. With most meat we FTC like brisket, butt, ribs, wings, etc they are technically already well overdone. They seem moist because of all the fat and collagen that has rendered and is coating the dried out meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I agree. My instinct was to say do not try to hold for a extended period. But the fact that I have never tried to swayed me from making that suggestion. I feel the meat would become dry, tough and rubbery. I could be off by a mile though. You have confirmed my suspicion of not trying to hold tenderloin. Thanks for your input my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• OVERULD
    OVERULD Posts: 47
    Options

New plan:

Sear at 550 -600 to get crust and color. Pull and stabilize Egg at 325.  Roast until internal temp reaches 100, then pull and put on a cookie sheet and go straight into the fridge to stop carryover cooking.  In morning, wrap with foil, throw in cooler and head for 'Nooga.  Bring to room temp on Sunday before finishing on gasser to normal internal temp for a beef tenderloin cook...say 130 in the thickest part.

That's best I can come up with.  Don't really want to do this cook like this but SWMBO and MIL persisted!  They shall have their beef...and eat it too!

BJ

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    cook them all the way on the gasser when you get there. sorry to say.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would have them travel to ATL.