Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub

Options
Good morning.  Does anyone have a good rub recipe for chicken, beef etc....I use Dizzy Dust and love it but it's very expensive and I would love to make my own.  Thanks, Mark

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    There are some good basic rub recipes at amazingribs.com. I really like Memphis Dust on pork ribs. Big Bad Beef rub is awesome on short ribs.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I got this from Emeril but cut some down.  Was to hot for my kids.

3 tablespoons chili powder (used 1.5-2) 2 tablespoons paprika (used 1)
    1 tablespoon cayenne
    1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon granulated onion
    1 tablespoon kosher salt (used 2) 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper 

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You probably have the ingredients at hand for a basic rub. Just about every rub for pork has sugar, salt, paprika, and black pepper. Most also have onion and garlic powder, some cayenne and mustard. Beef rubs tend to go easier on the sugar, and up the salt. Poultry rubs can be a little harder, because most recipes use more herbs than spices, and those tend to bake away. I like to make herbed butters, and put those under the poultry skin. Helps crisp the skin, and seems to hold the herbal flavor better.

Get a little mortar and pestle. Buy whole spices when possible, and grind those as needed. What I find is that fairly small quantities of other flavors beyond the basics I mentioned above can go a long way to giving a rub a very distinct character. A little nutmeg, a touch of clove, a dash of cinnamon, some fresh thyme, or crushed ginger can really make something that lights up the mouth without overwhelming the meat flavor.

Check around for oriental markets. Spices there tend to be much less expensive, and usually good quality.

There are some decent commercial mixes available that you might want to try as bases. Mrs. Dash mixes lack salt and mostly do not have sugar. Add you own salt and sugar to taste. Mc Cormick's Montreal seasoning is pretty good for steaks. Old Bay can work well w. poultry. Etc.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Mickeys coffee rub! You can easily make it at home.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Here is my favorite fajita seasoning. Not much is needed per batch of fajitas. Also - do yourself a favor and make a batch of Mickey's Coffee Rub!

http://mexican.food.com/recipe/fajita-seasoning-mix-28011

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA