Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket $$$ !!!!!

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im kinda curious. I wonder what all you guys pay for brisket out there. Here in CA (Bay Area) it is going for $4.00/lb. and I find that kinda expensive for a cheap cut of beef. Given that they come in 7-9 lb packages, I am not wont to ante up $30 to $36 all that often.....if you get my drift. Too bad for me, cuz Id sure like to do a chunk o' chest as often as y'all do.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RLA,
    $.88 per lb in Northern Alabama

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    JJ, I can see that you dont have to apply for a bank loan in order to buy brisket in northern alabama...
    Bob

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RLA,[p]Like JJ, here in S. IL its pretty cheap. The last 2 briskets I got I picked up at Wal Mart last weekend. I have 5 of them in the freezer now, stocking up for winter I guess. The brisket was $.89/pound but they were at the expiration date so they were 35% off of that. So I guess that made them about $.60/pound +/-. It always kills me to see what others pay for brisket, expecially on the east and west coast. I think NB pays upwards of $4 per pound also.[p]Troy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    sprinter,[p]You think it kills YOU? ;-}[p]My big-city butcher charges $5.99 per pound for trimmed flats. If I get a whole untrimmed brisket (which I have to special order), he gives me a deal - just $4.99.[p]Cathy

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Cat,[p]Thats BIG city prices I guess. I do miss the ability to have almost immediate access to some interesting food shops like you have. Being able to go to the local Italian/International market for different spices etc. S. IL definitely has its advantages but there are drawbacks too, access to things is one of them. For the price I could buy some brisket here, freeze it and ship it to you and you'd still come out cheaper than if you were to buy it locally. Thats STEEP for brisket.[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    RLA,
    Go to one of the out lying comunities, I'll bet you can find it a whole lot cheaper! I paid $.79/lb for the last three I bought. I got them at Wally World (Wal-Mart to the uneducated :-))) ) 'cause the butcher here in town wants to play like he's in the big city and get upwards of $2.50 to $3.50/lb. I won't pay that! I've told him so too! They use to consider brisket as dog meat, in all honesty! Why let them rake you over the coals? I see where CAT has to pay that much too! Youse folks need to come to da mid-west, and experience good, clean simple livin'!!!! I have paid as high as $1.99/lb when no one had them on sale or everyone was cookin' them. Now I stock up on them when I find them on sale. Freeze 'em in the cry-o-vac bag and keep 'em up to a year.(they'd never last that long here!)[p]Keep looking Bob, you'll find them priced better somewhere out there![p]Cheers,
    Dr. C

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    RLA,
    I am also in the bay area, I have noticed that Costco prices are fair.
    I don't think Wall Mart has a meat section around here.[p]Dec

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cat,[p]One pound of untrimmed flat: $5.99
    20 pound bag of lump: $5-$10
    10 pound of bag of wood: $5-$10[p]The expressions on your guests' faces when they try your deliciously slow-smoked brisket: Priceless![p]Infringer of copyrights,
    Cornfed

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RLA,[p]Here in the sticks of Southern NJ they run $2.50-$3.00 lb if you can find them. Well worth the incredible taste.[p]Spin

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    RLA, That is eggxactly my my uncle moved form CA to Kansas. I have bought 3 briskets this year and cooked. Whole cry-o-vac briskets where bought for 79 cents a lb. That's crazy.[p]CWM

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    RLA,
    MAN! I'd hate to hear what your prime rib runs out there!@#!$%^!!

• RLA, You need to shop a little more. Here in San Jose the Albertson store has untrimmed brisket at 1.89/lb. Trimmed (?) brisket is 2.89. As noted, Costco has decent prices but I have not been able to find brisket in the store, but don't know if they can order.

• billy bob
    Options
    RLA,[p]I just came bach from Walmart(Alliance, Ohio). I bought a 12 lb. brisket for .98 per lb. I probably should of bought another one, in case this was a special deal. [p]Billy-Bob