Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The egg has cracked!

Options
I had noticed a few weeks ago that my xl firebox had cracked. not a big deal... I had just wedged it back into place with some fragments of broken fire bricks. While re-aligning it yesterday I thought that it could use a proper cleaning and in the process had noticed that the base had several meandering cracks straight through from the inside to the outside. I've called the AD that I purchased it from 4 years ago and am going to remain hopeful in the "lifetime warranty" provided by BGE. I will update as this progresses. This egg has never been abused or traveled, is used several times a week, has seen weekly 600+ degree pizza cooks... Against all of my better judgment, I'll remain optimistic that someday replacement parts will arrive. Just thought that I'd share.
Jim
Kensington, MD
2-XL BGE's, Backwoods Gater
1.jpg 54.6K
4.jpg 59.4K

Comments

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Been there, done that, on my 8 year old Egg. Within the last couple of months, in fact. I discovered the cracks, went to the local dealer, bought a new one. He reminded me of the lifetime warranty, told me to take pictures and they'd submit the warranty claim. I did, happened to include a picture of my firebox which had cracked about 3 years ago. They sent the claim off to BGE HQ and a warranty replacement bottom was authorized very quickly. They even authorized a new firebox without me even asking. Rather than waiting until BGE could ship the new bottom and firebox, the dealer took them out of his inventory and gave them to me on the spot, as soon as the warranty claim was approved. Good service.

BGE's are apparently only shipped by BGE itself, so the dealer (Ace Hardware) would have had to wait until they had to re-order more stock. BGE wouldn't ship just one base and one firebox. He didn't want me to have to wait that long, so my replacements came out of their inventory and he'd replace them when they ordered more. What was really impressive is that the dealer did all this even though I originally bought the egg that cracked from a different dealer. All in all, I went about 5 days from discovering the cracked Egg to having a new replacement base installed and ready to cook.

So, that's how I ended up with three Big Green Eggs instead of two, like everybody else has....

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    "AD"??? If you are the original owner then there should be no issue on getting a replacement. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokinjim
    Options
    I've been talking to a lot of people who are very reassuring that they will stand behind their product. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed
    Jim
    Kensington, MD
  • smokinjim
    Options
    I am the original owner. Still waiting to hear back from both as BGE's site states that you should be dealing with your AD in warranty situations. AD's site states that because of seasonal demands that I should expect to get a confirmation on my request for warranty within 4 to 6 weeks?? Emailed BGE right after that!
    Jim
    Kensington, MD
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I bought my first egg from Ace, the Authorized Dealer.  I also recently had my fire ring crack.  I just called Ace and they're finding a replacement for me as we speak.  I would think you would have a similar experience with your AD, but I'm curious to hear about your experience.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I had my replacement in 5 days. Of course it depends on how often your dealer places orders, but if you're the original owner and have the paperwork, you're fine.
    Dunedin, FL
  • smokinjim
    Options
    I will post back once this is taken care of. No one in AD's warranty dept answering/returning calls. I've never had an issue with them in the past. Just impatient... don't want to miss out on too many pizza nights!
    Jim
    Kensington, MD
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yes, @smokinjim, please do keep us in the loop.
    TIA
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I walked into my dealer which is also a distributor with pics of my cracked base, he sent an email and within 5 mins he got a response of yes "cover it". I left with a new base in less than 30 mins involved.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options

I walked into my dealer which is also a distributor with pics of my cracked base, he sent an email and within 5 mins he got a response of yes "cover it". I left with a new base in less than 30 mins involved.
    Nice! My exchange would have gone faster but since I didn't buy the cracked egg from him, the whole process had to wait until I could get the original dealer from 8 years ago to email me a PDF of the receipt. Also, this all occurred on July 3rd, so there was the holiday to deal with (the "other" reason I ended up with three BGE's).
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I took pics to my dealer on a Saturday, replacement Egg was there by Tuesday.
    Options
    I had a cracked base very similar to yours earlier this year. After sending my dealer pictures, I got a new base about 2.5 weeks later - had to wait for his next shipment of Eggs to come in. It may take a while, but they came through for me. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options

Just replaced my base that developed a small crack after 10 years. Took just a few days after submitting the pictures through the dealer and I went home with a new base and firebox. The warranty is legit and I will be buying Egg #2 later this year. Hope you are back in business soon.

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    wow, all these long time owners.  I cracked my fire ring after a few months...
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    They'll replace it. So far I've replaced 3 plate setters (3 year warranty) 1 firebox, 1 fire ring, and 1 base. No issues.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I have heard nothing but great things about the warranty on these.... Shouldn't be an issue!
  • namealreadytaken
    Options
    I walked into the Mothership behind a guy who had his firebox in a trash bag and I said to him I can't wait to hear this. As most have mentioned-he left a happy man.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The mother ship doesn't care they give you a new one on the spot unless it is the dome or base. Mother ship can only replace platesetter, fire ring, fire box etc. I have had 2 bases crack and emailed Bruce at their warranty dept and approved it in the email and said print it out and bring it to the mothers hip and I got new bases that day.
  • smokinjim
    Options
    UPDATE. I received an email from AD at 7:15 this am saying that it had been submitted to BGE. I will continue to update as it progresses...
    Jim
    Kensington, MD