Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Pig Recipes HELP!!

Options
I had a successful pig hunt this morning. This is my first wild pig. I'm sure people have experimented with recipes for wild pigs. I'm looking for suggestions?!

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How big a pig you got?

Little Rock, AR

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Yeah, if it's a smaller one it should be tasty depending on what it ate. Last one I put a rub on and grilled raised direct. Turned out great. Don't bother with a low and slow though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options

How big a pig you got?

140 lbs

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    yzzi said:

Yeah, if it's a smaller one it should be tasty depending on what it ate. Last one I put a rub on and grilled raised direct. Turned out great. Don't bother with a low and slow though.

These pigs were in orange groves down in Florida. I'm hoping that the oranges will makes them sweet. My first thought was to smoke w orange wood.
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    I cooked a big ham off a wild hog not to long ago. I just rubbed it down really good and injected with Apple juice and vinegar. I put it on at 250 and it took 11.5 hours to get to 180 degrees. I was gonna cook it to 200 but didnt have the time so I just chopped the meat. It actually tasted better to me the next day.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    140 is a good size for eating. Where at in Florida? I go down to a ranch in Wauchula a couple times a year that does hog hunting. Been wanting to go again soon. Getting hot though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I would smoke it and mop it with a pretty acidic mop sauce.

Little Rock, AR

• nicklentini1
    Options
    I shot a 80lb sow a week ago during a bow hunt.  Just got the processed bratwurst sausages back yesterday from Hartzells meat market in Lake Placid.  Smoked them for about 25 minutes at 300 last night for dinner.  I will say the best hog sausage I have ever had.  Don't know if it was the Egg or the way it was processed.  Also just got a tender four point on sunday......mmmmmm sweet meat.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL