Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Need advice: badinfluence excluded

Ok, i have said it before, i am eggless. I have a family of five and the Xl makes a lot of sense to me, plus i like plenty of elbow room when i cook. BUT-- i have found a medium with nest platesetter and pizza stone for 350.00. I can buy that today. I will have to wait around at least 6 more weeks for the XL. But it is really what i want. The medium would make a great second egg, but not a great first. What would you do.
Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser I filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.


  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,261
    If it's in clean shape snatch it up...You can always flip it in the future. At that price you will NOT loose money.
    Thank you,

    Galveston Texas
  • freddyjfreddyj Posts: 127
    I would either wait for the XL or buy the medium and order the XL
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,097
    I am guessing that there will be no warranty with this medium, but I am sure you already know that. With that being said I would probably go ahead and get it to get me by until my XL came in. 

    I have two larges and the best decision I ever made was getting the second egg. 

    I love the title of your post! @badinfluence will get us all into trouble! 

    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mshumpmshump Posts: 212
    Patience !! Wait the 6 more weeks
    Danville, Il
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,290
    Well, in 6 weeks you will have two eggs and a year from now, you will not remember which came first, nor will you care. 
    I don't think you will regret the MBGE, it can do a fair amount, and it is nice to be doing a low and slow pork butt on it while the XL is handling the stuff that needs to be spread out like burgers. 

    If you know the MBGE is fine, buy it. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,429
    Buy it! They may even take $300 for it. The M is a great second egg so you'll be all set when you get your XL.
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,644
    If getting the medium will not impact the XLBGE buy then go for it.  Otherwise, I would wait for the XL as you will enjoy the real estate especially for a family of five.  FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,097
    I totally agree with @Skiddymarker. I bought my second egg because when we have a lot of people over I had to cook in stages. I didn't enjoy that at all.

    Now I can have both of mine going at the same time or more importantly cook steak on one and a pork butt on the other. 

    Hell I would probably buy the medium for $350 if it was in my area!  

    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 935
    The medium will set the Xl back until late fall early spring
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser I filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,097
    So if you buy the medium now instead of 6 weeks for the XL it will be a few or 6 months until you can get the XL?

    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 1,231
    Jstroke   . You want the XL ... you know it, I know it, everyone reading this knows it. Wait the 6 weeks. I hate having regrets.

    Enjoy ... Tim
    Chatsworth Ca.
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 935
    Realistically at least three months
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser I filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,261
    Jstroke said:
    The medium will set the Xl back until late fall early spring
    Buy the medium and start cooking with it.
    When you are getting close to buying your XL clean up the medium and take some nice photos and list it on Craigs List for $450...Don't wait...Stop asking questions. Buy
    Thank you,

    Galveston Texas
  • jcasparyjcaspary Posts: 1,477

    It's hard to pass up an opportunity like that medium.  Either way you are likely to get an XL then an M or the M then the XL.  Take the M while you can get it.  Late fall isn't that far away.

    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,097
    I would go ahead and get it. Let the Medium be your learning curve egg. 

    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 1,231
    The medium is too small for a family of 5. XLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXL !
    Chatsworth Ca.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,908
    Personally, if buying the Medium means waiting 3-6 months for the XL rather than 6 weeks, I would wait. Or flip the Medium like @Photo_Egg suggested. You will want something bigger than the medium, IMHO.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

    XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer
  • Grillin_beersGrillin_beers Posts: 1,106
    One thing no one is mentioning is that you shouldn't let a pizza stone affect your decision in any way. You can pick one up for 15 bucks. I always buy the cheapest one at the store because I always seem to have them explode on me.

    That being said, I have a large egg and I want a second one badly. If you wait 6 weeks to get the XL a couple of months later you'll be wanting a small or medium to go with it. Either way you'll end up in the same place, with two eggs. However you probably won't be buying a medium for $350 a couple of months from now. A new XL will cost the same now or later.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

    My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,646
    I have two Eggs, and I live alone.
    If you can afford two eggs, get the Medium now.
    If you can't afford two eggs, get the Medium now, and then sell it when you can get the XL.  As a couple have mentioned, you won't lose money.  
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • I have a small with a family of 4 and it's ok, not sure you could get another serving out of the medium. At that price would probably buy it anyway but if you can only have 1 then WAIT for the XL.
    NW Iowa
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,570
    @badinfluence already bought the medium that was for sale.  >:)

    Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

  • badinfluencebadinfluence Posts: 1,554
    @SmokeyPitt‌ no I haven't but sure would at that price.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 3 MED. BGE, 1 SM. BGE, 2 MINI MAX BGE, 2 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

    Clinton, Iowa
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 406

    I would go ahead and get the medium now- here's why:


    1) my first BGE was an XL, and I wish I would have learned on a L or Medium- I would have used less charcoal and the Large and Medium is easier to use for making things like steaks unless you have a means of reducing the lump in the XL


    2) even though the medium won't have the warranty, you have a liquid item that you will be able to get rid of any time you want. i'd bet that once you get it, learn on it and then get your XL, you'll want to keep  both

    3) family of 5 is a lot to cook for  but you can do a pork shoulder or brisket on it which will feed everyone, and you can grill whole chickens or enough chix breast, steaks or burgers for your family

    4) FOOTBALL kicks off this weekend and a football weekend without any sized  BGE is well, like a foot without a big toe- Sgt. Hulka

    5) Lastly, a used BGE usually comes with a bunch of accessories and you'll get used to using them and have good practice reps on the medium


    you will be extremely happy with your decision to get the Medium today.

  • DobieDobie Posts: 1,349
    I would wait for the XL, its what you need.
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • FarbuckFarbuck Posts: 276
    Having two is more than twice the fun.   Go for the medium, cook the hell out of it and enjoy what''s left of the summer.   

    Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

    Newtown Square, PA
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I'd buy it. I cook for 8 to 9 people in my family regularly on a large. I'm sure you could cook for 5 on a medium. I have a large and a small and use them both a lot. Get the medium now and a large or the XL in the spring.



     LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 654
    Agree the Medium will be too small for you. Go for the XL. And like your avatar!!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SmyrnaGASmyrnaGA Posts: 315
    I would get the medium ASAP. A medium plate setter is gonna be a lot lighter than an XL plate setter. That first time you forgot to "burp" the egg will only burn the hair off your arm, not your eye brows. Like the other posts says, you can always get the XL later.

    Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

    in Smyrna GA.

  • I say wait, throw another hundo with the price of that medium and you're close to a mini-max.  I heard they will be in stores friday.    Otherwise, I say wait for the XL

    Thumb MI
Sign In or Register to comment.