Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry brined bird

Options
Did a dry brined bird. .75t nacl/lb let sit at least 24 hours. Indirect 500 in cast iron 30 minutes each side.

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks good, how did it taste?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Jethro ain't the brightest so could you explain the purpose of a dry brine. I thought a wet brine introduced additional moisture. That's what Uncle Jed told me.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    A dry brine of at least 24 hours accomplishes the same as a wet brine by drawing out moisture, which mixes with the salt and then gets reabsorbed. It's great for egg cooks because it doesn't leave the skin soggy as a wet brine, allowing the skin to crisp more. I always dry brine turkey, about a tablespoon of kosher salt per five pounds. Rub under the skin and inside the bird.

I way prefer a dry brine. You just have to plan ahead.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I exclusively dry brine. Never wet brine. Sometimes I find it takes a couple days for all the moisture to reabsorb
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum