Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xxl reports please

Options
From reading past post I know its one xxl out there and maybe more.Would the proud new owners please tell us your thoughts,pros and cons if any.Im thinking of one myself but would like feed back first. Thanks

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    It's big. Oh you probably want more then that. It cooks just as well as any egg and did not use as much lump as I wou)d have thought. It does take a full bag and then some to fill though. Temp control was easy at 250 do 14 hours. The bad is no one is planning any aftermarket for it. The stainless smoke cap works on it as the top vent is the same size as a med thru xl. Have not really had much time to use it with work and comp cooks and racing but most is about done for the season...well other then work.

I say get it...one can never have too many eggs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    It's big. Oh you probably want more then that. It cooks just as well as any egg and did not use as much lump as I wou)d have thought. It does take a full bag and then some to fill though. Temp control was easy at 250 do 14 hours. The bad is no one is planning any aftermarket for it. The stainless smoke cap works on it as the top vent is the same size as a med thru xl. Have not really had much time to use it with work and comp cooks and racing but most is about done for the season...well other then work. I say get it...one can never have too many eggs.
    <br/thanks .do u have plate setter if so how heavy is it .I guess just thinking the grill size is only about 5 inches bigger than xl and that don't seem like much but everyone comments on how big it is.Overall is it twice as big as xl.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    The platesetter is probably 50 lbs or so so yeah its heavy. But remember I'm 5 foot 11 inches and weigh 140lbs so you might not think it's really that bad.

2 xl eggs would give more cooking space but not the same cool kid on the block factor...lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    Options
    The platesetter is probably 50 lbs or so so yeah its heavy. But remember I'm 5 foot 11 inches and weigh 140lbs so you might not think it's really that bad. 2 xl eggs would give more cooking space but not the same cool kid on the block factor...lol

you must not eat much of your cooking to stay so small.lol
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Problem is if i don't cook when I'm home i don't eat. The wife is a horrible cook. :(

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    Options
    One day when u get time roll that xxl up in front of your others and post a pic.I see u have side tables for all your eggs.Do u have them on xxl also.Thanks for all your time.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Yes i do have the side tables for the xxl. They were only 100.00 extra when i bought it so i figured well worth it.

oh i forgot to mention. You would think with how big the dome is that it would be heavy to open...not so. They did a great job with the springs and i think it's easier to open then a xl.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @tcampbell‌ so did you get one?

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    Options
    No not yet trying to decide if t want to put it in a premeneat place.thinking about building a place for it out of stone.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Can I ask y'all a serious non-troll question? What are you planning on cooking on this thing? I can see professional caterers using them.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That is an honest question. I don't see a need to own one personally. The XL suffices for all of my needs. When I have required more capacity it was for 10-15 butts. I am not sure the XXL has that kind of room
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Serious answer. I had no NEED for the XXL it was a want and a want only. 10 to 15 shoulders would not fit and as far as for catering I don't see much use either as its to heavy to move to a location.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    Options
    Serious answer. I had no NEED for the XXL it was a want and a want only. 10 to 15 shoulders would not fit and as far as for catering I don't see much use either as its to heavy to move to a location.

same here
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @tcampbell‌ that's right is our money and we will waste it how we see fit. :))

Clinton, Iowa
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    We sell BGE's at work.  I agree that the XXL opens very easy.  We cooked on it at the Nebraska Cattleman's Ball in June.  Lots of grid room.  Might have that demo egg sold to a restaurant/bar.  They have it on a trial basis.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• erniemcclain
    Options
    @tcampbell, what state do you live in?  We have one demo that might be sold and also have one in the box.  Maybe we can make you a deal.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• badinfluence
    Options
    How much for oit as a demo? I am always looking for another egg. :D

Clinton, Iowa
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    If I shouldn't be trying to sell them on this site.  I apologize.  Thought of that after I posted.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• badinfluence
    Options
    I'm in iowa. Does that help? Oh yeah i also drive truck...
    hum could be a match made in heaven

Clinton, Iowa
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Our office is located in Western Nebraska.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• erniemcclain
    Options
    So how in the world, or better yet, WHY in the world would a guy who drives truck for a living have 10 (soon to be 11) eggs?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Grillin_beers
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sorry if I offended anyone. I would probably own an egg of every size given a chance. SWMBO is pretty frugal. I'm still going to buy a small first chance I get!

• badinfluence
    Options

So how in the world, or better yet, WHY in the world would a guy who drives truck for a living have 10 (soon to be 11) eggs?

Taxes my freind. Oh I also cater on my off time

Clinton, Iowa
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @badinfluence Fwiw I'm stupid jealous of your eggs. Other reasoned I thought it would be good for catering is that you could cook a lot of pulled pork at your location and then just transfer the pork. Obviously you would know since you actually cater. I hope to cater on the side one day. If you are ever hauling near Spartanburg SC let me know and we can egg together!

• badinfluence
    Options
    @Grillin_beers‌ lol well I'm in Spartanburg every Friday right off ashville highway. Then I go back to Charlotte to load then depending on how traffic is back down 85 to 26. So there you have it small world eh.

Clinton, Iowa