Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza cook tonight

Options
Getting started with my pizza cook tonight. Only have 6 to cook for now so made less dough. I have to let the dough rest a couple of hours then I'll toss them out until I can see through them and put it on the egg at 700+. imageimage
1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
image.jpg 1019.5K

Comments

• Willieb9000
    Options
    Following this one. If I understand you you are going for thin crust. Please keep the pics coming. Love egged pizza!
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Speaking of Pizza, how long is it ok to keep homemade sauce refrigerated?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    It depends on how homemade we are talking. I toss mine after 4-5 days.

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    May the Force be with you
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    From Scratch
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Then 4-5 days if we are talking about scratch. I crush my own tomatoes ect.

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I don't know how you guys have been doing pies lately as this is the first post for me in probably several years. If you plan on loading one up with toppings, I've found it better to partially cook or brown your toppings in a iron skillet before putting on the pie. Mainly onions and peppers for me. If I don't brown them first, they never are done enough before the crust is just right. Just a little tid bit I have been playing with lately. Looking forward to some after pics!
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I'm about to get the sauce going. I post some pics of that soon. I like to let it go for about an hour and a half. I'll keep the pics coming all night!

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Now for the sauce:

I start by melting a tablespoon or two in a pot. I add about a 3rd of a small onion minced. Then I add two garlic cloves put through a press. Let that brown.

Next add your crushed tomatoes and stir until combined. At this point I like to add salt pepper and a pinch of sugar(to offset the acidity). I do that at this point because I can tell if I need to add more salt. I would advise about a teaspoon of salt and half that of pepper.

After letting that simmer for 2 minutes I add the herbs. This varies from time to time depending on what looks good out of the garden. Today I have basil thyme oregano parsley and a little rosemary. Stir all of that in and add red pepper flakes to taste. I like around a teaspoon and a half. imageimageimage

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nice sauce pics... Me being Italian of course love the pics and the pizza!!
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Sorry about the big time lag y'all... Only got before and afters of two pizzas..... I just had a buffet style setup as far as toppings go. I sauced all the pizzas so people didn't over do that. I had fresh mozzarella and parm reg for all the pizzas.

Fun story, I had a born and raised NYC guy( lived in little Italy until recently) tell me that this was the best pizza he ever had. imageimageimageimageimage

• Grillin_beers
    edited August 2014
    Options
    One more thing, always use deli slice pepperoni!

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to post this pic. The dough is tossed so that you can see through it. image