Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini max had to make a move

Options
I have nothing bad to say about big green eggs.I have 5 and have spent north of 6000 dollars on eggs,tables and accessories. That being said I wanted a mini max for a wedding gift and couldn't wait any longer,so today I purchased a kamado joe Jr.I tell you guys and gals I'm a green egg guy ,but l like the jr.404 dollars got grill,heat stone,ash tool,stand and grill lifter.You can cook raised direct also.I know I could have got the small but its my least favorite and I wanted bigger than the mini.The Joe may not be as good a grill and I want a mini max myself, but for the price I think its a good buy.

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Trader
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    @badinfluence I couldn't agree more!  Clinton IA lived down there for a bit
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    This is what's wrong with our society, if we can't get what we want Right Now, we get all bent out of shape. Patience is a virtue my friends!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The Joe Jr. is excellent. I have one as well. They came up with a reall winner with the Jr. Best of both worlds as it were. Enjoy it my friend. It was a excellent choice.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Man you'll be happy. I am a egg guy also but the junior has been great. Another forum member knew I was looking for one and let me know when a certain site had 20% off and free shipping so I paid $350 for mine. I posted my small egg on CL after the first time I used the KJ. It came to temp like it should which my small never would and it came with everything I would ever need except a 2nd stone to do pizzas. I am so torn cause I will get a mini max but I don't want to get rid of my mini cause I love it in its carten and I love the KJ Jr so I may be back at 5 kamados. Worse things have happened I guess.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Patience is a virtue.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    This is what's wrong with our society, if we can't get what we want Right Now, we get all bent out of shape. Patience is a virtue my friends!

how much more patient could I be I waited until 1 day before I needed it.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    tcampbell said:

how much more patient could I be I waited until 1 day before I needed it.

Lol!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Patience is a virtue? You are putting off a better grill for lesser one and waiting for it. The KJ is lighter, still has more lump room so it can cook longer, comes with more accessories and is still cheaper, and the KJ stand appears to be much nicer from what has been posted so far.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I needed the extra time to soften Mrs. Texaswig into me having 2 eggs. :))

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    I have a KJ Jr. too. It rocks, and yes a 12" stone is ALL it needs additionally. Thankfully my med BGE stone is just that and fits the rack perfectly. Being brand loyal is great, a behavior all manufacturers (of everything) pursue as a holy grail. But wearing blinders to other options as a consumer is only short-changing oneself and, well theres lots of awesome products in nearly every market segment.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)