Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL lump ring

Options
OK I have a question for you experienced eggers. Does the lump reducing ring work in the XL and conserve lump on small cooks? And does it keep the heat in the center of the grate or does the grate heat up evenly? I have a small family but everyone ends up here on weekends and holidays so I've been looking at the XL just wondering if the lump reducing ring would allow for small cooks? Thanks for any help
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have the open bar lump reducing ring, ahd yes it reduces lump used for smaller or shorter cooks.  It also focuses the heat above the fire as you would expect.  I use it when cooking with my CI skillet, can toast bagels around the edge while frying bacon and eggs in the middle.

I am glad I have it, just adds more flexibility
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Cookinbob‌ that looks awesome, if I load up an xl can I get multiple cooks off of a load my large works well in that area do you feel the xl I fairly efficient? ( sorry just have jitters about pulling the trigger on the XL)
    -Todd
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@RiverDoc, I also use the CGS lump reducer ring frequently on my XL.  It is great for not only focused direct cooks, but also shorter indirect cooks, with the CGS stone sitting in either the spider, or the Woo2.  Also, with the Woo2, the 18" CI Grid fits the lower ring, matching the lump reducer ring, and works perfectly for reverse sears.  I recommend it and the XL highly. 

Selection of an egg is a difficult puzzle.  With the XL, you can do very large, and small cooks easily.  It is a great place to start - especially for a one egg family.  Once you start adding eggs, things become slightly more complicated.  If you already have a large, clearly you can see the value of having the larger cooking surface that the XL provides.  From the XL, I chose a Medium, to give me enuf space for most of my cooks, and for the really quick startup time.  I end up using it most of the time.  But when I'm doing a large cook, or several different items, I fire up the XL.  There is a lot of flexibility in the XL - Medium combination.  Frequently I use both at different temps.  I personally have no interest in portability, and don't think the small fits my cooking style.  However everyone is different in how they use the egg.  

Enjoy!! 

Santa Paula, CA
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Thank @tksmoke‌ you've described the set up I'm thinking about, great info!
    -Todd
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    So I have a lump reducer  thanks to @cannughead in my xl ( I also have a large ). I recently added the XL and have been so happy with the decision . To be honest I have not used the lump reducer much as you can really move the lump to one side .
    Having a reducer or lump on one side give you the direct/indirect options and opens up possibility with out having to fire up both eggs .
    Toronto
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    @Cookinbob‌ that looks awesome, if I load up an xl can I get multiple cooks off of a load my large works well in that area do you feel the xl I fairly efficient? ( sorry just have jitters about pulling the trigger on the XL)
    You can certainly get multiple cooks from a single load, of course it depends on the temp and time involved.  I think the XL is pretty efficient, though not so much for a small cook ( couple of chops, steaks, etc).  I have been totally pleased with mine, like that i can cook a protein and two sides at once, then bake a dessert.  With that said, of all the things i have cooked on my XL, the only one I could not have done on a large is Paella in my 18" pan.  If you have the $, and do large cooks, I say go for it.  On the other hand, there are a lot of eggers who take great pride in the size of the cooks they pull off on their larges equipped with an AR or whatever.  Whatever you decide, enjoy it, and don't second guess the decision you make!
    Rochester, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I'm one of the few people that do NOT like the XL.  The firebox is way too shallow (only 6")--it looks like they took a medium and stretched it out in the middle only.  The Large is actually taller than the XL.  That makes no sense.  They've been tweaking the dome height, firebox height, and fire ring height ever since it came out.  You still run into height issues trying to use a legs up plate if you try to put tall pieces of meat toward the outer edges (4 pork butts, or two turkeys.)

It takes me a long time to get a consistent fire across the whole grill because of the hot spots.  I can usually use the hot spots to my advantage, but I still don't understand why they built it like they did.  The new XXL looks like they did it right.

I would take 2 Larges over a XL any day. 

• Cookinbob
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have no trouble getting a large even fire on the XL. For a large hot fire I start in a chimney and spread the lit lump over the surface. I also find the "white smoke" is a non issue on the XL. If it appears at all it is gone quickly. I have never cooked on a large, so cannot compare.
    Rochester, NY
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I have the angle L brackets. IMHO they are way more versatile than the lump reducing rings. I disagree with @stlcharcoal‌ I have no problems with even heat in my XL. Of course, I only have an XL and can't speak to the way a large cooks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I need to play with my set up more the XL intrigues me because I want to cook sides at the same time but a second egg may do the trick or an AR. In any case I've only been Egging for about 4 months and now I'm useless it's all I want to do!
    -Todd