Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rhode Island Stuffies (Stuffed Quahogs)

Options
Being the only Rhode Island egghead on the forum, I feel like I have to represent. Tonight, my wife and I had stuffies (stuffed Quahogs) on the LBGE. These are the first stuffies I've done on the egg, but I'll definitely be doing them again!

What is a quahog you ask? A quahog is simply a very large hard clam drawn from the waters of Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. Stuffies are a true Rhode Island treat due to their size and freshness.

Traditionally, stuffies call for primarily clams and breadcrumbs. I kicked mine up a few notches.

Ingredients (makes 4 stuffies):

2 Narragansett Bay Quahogs, meat coarsely chopped, shells set aside, juice saved
1/2 lb of spicy italian pork sausage, crumbled
1 egg
1/2 cup finely chopped mixed nuts (or breadcrumbs)
1 jalapeno, ribs removed, minced
1/2 medium sweet onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients (including the clam juice) in a medium mixing bowl and mix by hand to combine. The mixture will be fairly wet, but should hold together well. Add a bit more finely chopped nuts or breadcrumbs if it's too wet. Mound the inside of the quahog shells that you set aside with the mixed filling.

Cook them on the egg direct at 400* for about 20 minutes (I pulled them with an internal temp of 160, and let them rest for about 5 minutes).

Here they are on the egg and finally on the plate!
Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI

Comments