Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

online chile powder

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
Just received this in the mail.  Shipping was slow.  2-day is their standard shipping, but they waited several days to get the order out.

Anyway, looking forward to trying these out.  I've never used green chile powders before and really want to see if I can do a 'dry' chile verde without cooking in sauce.  They have quite a selection on their website and prices seem to be reasonable.  I also stocked up on Ancho so I can make more Mickey's rub.  Small bags are 4oz, larger are 8oz.

www.dagiftbasket.com

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I order all my spices online from a place called Myspicesage and am very happy with everything, including delivery time (always free) and quality (always great) I hope this helps.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    If your interested in fresh hatch green chile there are several places here in NM that ship. The smell is in the air, Chile is coming in and the roasters are fired up. Even the UPS store by my house ships Green Chile Don't know if anything smells better than fresh roasting green chile
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Legume
    Options
    @llrickman I know that smell well. We're starting to see the fresh ones in the local market here.  Not sure if it will be this weekend or next, but HEB and other stores around town will have someone roasting them fresh for the next few weeks.  I'm looking forward to it - we add them to everything and freeze a bunch.  I've never roasted myself, but this is the first year I've had an egg, so I may give it a shot.

@ MeTed thanks for the recommendation.  I know I'll be ordering more and more online, so always appreciate a good recommendations.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Next weekend were going to go get a sack.then probably 2 more in Sept.  I only have 9 bags left in the freezer. My father in law likes to get usually 3 sacks roasted take it home divide into quart bags and freeze.

One thing i have noticed, the chile doesn't seem to peel as well after its been refrigerated before roasting and can lose a little taste ,If your roasting your own i would try to keep it out of the fridge/freezer until you have roasted it all

Also if you like the red chile too you should try Chimayo red Chile

http://www.potrerotradingpost.com/RedChile.html

there are several places to get it from
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by a "dry" chili sauce without cook, but have been making this since my mother taught to me in the late '50's growing up in Albuquerque.  Tweaked it over the years but still my favorite chili.

• Richard Fl
    edited August 2014
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Next weekend were going to go get a sack.then probably 2 more in Sept.  I only have 9 bags left in the freezer. My father in law likes to get usually 3 sacks roasted take it home divide into quart bags and freeze.

One thing i have noticed, the chile doesn't seem to peel as well after its been refrigerated before roasting and can lose a little taste ,If your roasting your own i would try to keep it out of the fridge/freezer until you have roasted it all

Also if you like the red chile too you should try Chimayo red Chile

http://www.potrerotradingpost.com/RedChile.html

there are several places to get it from

I agree they peel better if roasted, frozen and then defrosted/peeled and used.  Also save the liquid when defrosting, slimy but great.  Also if you can get your hands on some Mexican Oregano,  It will enhance the flavor.  IMHO this is also a great choice for chile seasonings.

• Legume
    Options
    @Richard Fl thanks for the recipe recommendation, looks good.

By 'dry' I only meant that I want to play around and see if I can use the green powder to make a rub that gets in the neighborhood of chile verde flavor on grilled meat, maybe on a pork tenderloin.  Not looking to cook the pork in a sauce.  Love that flavor, one of my favorite dishes, but I want to try to stretch it into grilled/smoked meats.  Maybe even stuff a tenderloin with some roasted hatch chile.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Try modifying this:

Rub, Chile, Southwestern

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Tbs Ancho Powder
    3 Tbs Chile de Arbol
    3 Tbs Chipolte Powder
    2 Tsp Oregano, Dried, Mexican Prefered
    2 Tsp Onion Salt
    1 Tsp Cumin Powder
    1 Tsp Garlic Powder

PROCEDURE:

1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. 
    Great to use for grilling or smoking beef, pork or lamb. Any chile taste that is a favorite of yours can be substituted to create a variety of flavors. Any unused portion can be stored in a sealed container in the freezer.

Recipe Type: Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Source
    Source: Chimayo To Go, 2009/11/08

• Legume
    Options
    Excellent, thank you @Richard Fl‌ I didn't order any Chimayo this time (didn't know what it is) but will order some now on your recommendation.