Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks in the freezer: Keep em or toss em?

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
These steaks have been in my freezer for 2 years. They were cryo packed and frozen when I bought, never thawed.  I keep thinking I should toss them, but there are no signs of freezer burn or other nastiness.  You can see, this is not a lot of money, but I hate to throw away good meat.

What do you think?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Looks like they are in a cryo type wrapping.  They would be on the Egg at my house.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    No freezer burn- I would eat them.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    Would be hard to toss at today's prices. Give it a shot
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    edited August 2014
    Options
    They look disgusting, ship them across the lake my way and I'll dispose for ya  :D
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    In my home when I find nuggets like that buried in my freezer I will use them for ka-bobs where I marinate the meat to possibly mask any off taste or use them in stroganoff. They should be fine but if SWMBO knows their history she gets the mind set they will taste bad, so I just use them like I said and she never knows! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They might not be the best ribeyes you've ever had, but they are not unhealthy. If questionable, mask them as Ron suggests. Otherwise, they are steaks, man.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Worst that can happen is that they will have a freezer taste...

Options
    RRP said:
    In my home when I find nuggets like that buried in my freezer I will use them for ka-bobs where I marinate the meat to possibly mask any off taste or use them in stroganoff. They should be fine but if SWMBO knows their history she gets the mind set they will taste bad, so I just use them like I said and she never knows! LOL
    My wife is like yours, if she know the history, they would taste bad.  It is about 3 lbs of steak, so I will need to have company to use them all at once, maybe some awesome chili?

They are staying, but not until next year!
    Rochester, NY
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy, but DO NOT THAW THEM! This method turns out the juiciest steak you've ever had. I freeze all my steaks now just to cook frozen. If there is any hope for your steaks, it's this way...

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Seared-Porterhouse-Steaks-Michael-Symon

Good luck!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Don't get me wrong though, if you think they are no good, toss em'!
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    I think they're fine, but looking for support which I'm finding here. Only 1/2" thick, so I can't be too creative.
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    Next cook out, feed them to your friends.  Go get you and your wife a fresh one.  No one will ever know.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    If in doubt, use them for pot pie, wok cook, chili.......

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    When in doubt ... throw it out. I don't take chances with my stomach.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    If they have been frozen the whole time, they are safe just not as tasty as they might be.  I go freezer surfing sometimes.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Definitely use them.  I view golden finds like that as an opportunity to cook a new way with no risk since it's all "found money" anyway. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    last winter i made a point to eat everything in the freezer and start fresh, no telling how long some of it was in there
    :D eat it as steak, marinated kabobs, grind and make chili for chili dogs....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    I pulled two of these out and marinated to cook for Fajitas tonight.  Glad I didn't toss them, they were great!  There are two left, I may do one caveman the next time I have a night to myself!
    Rochester, NY
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Foodsaver says 2-3 years. http://www.foodsaver.com/foodsaver®-brand-advantage/keep-food-fresh/keep-food-fresh.html
    Dave - Austin, TX