Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Butt Low and Slow - Retro Style

Options
Greetings friends,

No internet at the new house yet. Sorry if formatting goes awry.

I decided to see firsthand how a butt would turn out straight out of the freezer. No thaw. Rubbed and roasted.

Froze my hands solid rubbing this thing with garlic salt, paprika, crushed red pepper, brown sugar, and LOTS of yellow mustard. A real slurry. In the future I may just make the slurry on the side and squirt it right on the meat.

I did score the fat cap best I could. I'm hoping that helps with rendering.

Going on now with Fogo, mesquite and hickory smoking wood, and a homebrew beer pan at ~225*. Fat cap down. I usually go cap up, but wanted a little extra protection fireside. Probably doesn't make a difference...

No Maverick. Just the dome thermo. I left my Maverick in Arlington va and gave my other to a friend that just got their first BGE. RETRO TIME!!! Let's see how I know my vent settings...

Pics to follow if my cellular data link doesn't take a dump.

Thanks for reading!
8-Damien

I'll update as I go.
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I thawed one of over the weekend cooked it sunday and did fat cap down. Hands down the best bark ive ever had on the top of that thing. I will be doing butts fat cap down from now on
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Now *this* cook I'll be curious about!   Can my lazy ass keep a butt in the freezer and throw it in straight from there?   Think of the possibilities...you can buy pork when it's on sale, put the entire mustard dry rub on it...freeze it!  and be good to go.

Good luck. 

Looking forward to PICTURES and a report on this cook!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Let us know how the smoke ring turns out. I can't remember from the one I did frozen. Theory would be more time at a lower temp will yield better smoke ring.

Also, might want to check it a couple hours in and see if the rub has dripped off of it and if so add some more.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Gonna try one pic at a time here...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Check out THE SLATHER MWAHAHAAHAHAAAAA

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    edited July 2014
    Options
    A few clarifications.

This was frozen in the cryo, which is the only way to really pull this off IMHO.

Rub was after pulling the frozen wrap off.

And I froze my hands so much I decided to go fat cap after all. Why change too much at once?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Ok. So it DOES look like the rub is coming off, doesn't it?

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• DMW
    Options
    Yeah, that doesn't surprise me as it thaws. No need for mustard, just tip it up on the side and shake rub on each side. The top looks fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    How long did it take for the temp to get back up to where you wanted it, after dumping the ice block butt in.. Good luck and will follow this thread for sure..Have a great weekend..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Never thought about smoking one frozen! Can't wait to see the results.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options

How long did it take for the temp to get back up to where you wanted it, after dumping the ice block butt in.. Good luck and will follow this thread for sure..Have a great weekend..

Not long if at all. I just plonked the cube in there and it help right at my desired 225*.

I did sprinkle more dry run on top. The mustard would've worked on a thawed butt perfectly. Frozen, it just slid right off.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    So, is the butt done?  How is the cook going? Is it cooking weird?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Still going....

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lowlightbw
    lowlightbw Posts: 52
    Options
    I just did 2 - 8lb butts on my large that were both semi frozen (about 6 hours out of the freezer in the fridge). At 250 dome temp they took 14 and 15 hrs respectively to hit 200 internally. Excellent bark with just dry rub. Pulled beautifully but took 3-5 hrs longer than usual! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I don't do butts very often but when I do I'll add a frozen one if I have room. I think they develop better bark, better smoke ring and take more smoke flavor. I usually see  5-6 hours longer when rock solid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MaskedMarvel
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Tell me what YOU think...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    First the whole butt...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Some serious, and I mean SERIOUS bark baby. Way fantastic. Might be my FAVOURITE I've ever had.

Great flavour. Fantastic smoke ring. Only change for next time is dry ingredients in the rub only.

Thanks for reading!!

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Huh! Good info!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    That looks great!! So what was your total cook time?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

That looks great!! So what was your total cook time?

My estimation is about 20 hours, but that was at ~225* at the dome thermo.

The next frozen butt experiment will be at 350*.

Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate you guys.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me! I will gladly take any and all left overs! ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    =D> ^:)^ awesome. Thanks @MaskedMarvel‌ for the detailed info. Good knowledge for future BB's
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Congratulations..Thanks for posting Frozen Butt cook..Love the pics as well..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    Options
    Nice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very nice- thanks for sharing.  I'm glad to know the frozen butt is an option.  I have actually run out to the store to get butts when I had some in the freezer that I forgot to defrost.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Excellent cook and pics! Thanks for the info...good to know.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Good to know. I sometime have a hard time finding pork shoulders. From now on, I'll keep on in the freezer.